2wd to 4wd SAS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tomahawk 309

Reaction score
Hey All,

Iv'e been lurking around here for a while. I've done search after search looking for someone who has actually done the 2wd to 4wd conversion using the Off Road Design or ORU swap kits. I know there are a few that have done a 4X4 SAS swap but the 2wd is a sightly different animal with the trans, transfer case etc... I have a 94 1500 2wd one owner that has 106000 on it. The truck is really nice other than needing paint. If someone could point me towards a thread somewhere by someone who has done this swap. Thanks

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a 2-4wd sas on my 92 many moons ago, there were no kits or internet at the time. I used a set of rancho 44044 springs which are I believe are 2" lift fsj spring. Made all my own brackets. Ran a BJ Ford 60 and an eaton rear. Shackled reversal on the rear and stock springs. I ran 39's with liberal fender cutting.
Fir the t case I ran a divorced 205 from either a Ford or dodge, for get which was a drivers drop.

One issue i had was if I ran the shackled in the rear (on the front suspension) I would have way to more lift than I wanted. I am morw of a low lift big tire guy. I ended up putting the shackles in the front similar to a jeep.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey All,

Iv'e been lurking around here for a while. I've done search after search looking for someone who has actually done the 2wd to 4wd conversion using the Off Road Design or ORU swap kits. I know there are a few that have done a 4X4 SAS swap but the 2wd is a sightly different animal with the trans, transfer case etc... I have a 94 1500 2wd one owner that has 106000 on it. The truck is really nice other than needing paint. If someone could point me towards a thread somewhere by someone who has done this swap. Thanks
Are you looking to do an SAS with the 2wd trans? If you are then you can do what jps4jeep said and run a divorced tcase. If you're interested in a sas on a 2wd frame with 4wd drivetrain i did a build with one with ORDesigns brackets. http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?6736-92-Sierra-SAS-frame-off

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was considering doing the exact same thing with ORC's kit. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Tomahawk 309

Reaction score
Are you looking to do an SAS with the 2wd trans? If you are then you can do what jps4jeep said and run a divorced tcase. If you're interested in a sas on a 2wd frame with 4wd drivetrain i did a build with one with ORDesigns brackets. http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?6736-92-Sierra-SAS-frame-off

Not really sure at this point. I already have the 2wd trans. Pros and cons of each? I've had jeeps in the past and that was basically parts swapping. This is new territory for me. The truck was my grandfathers so there is sentimental value there so I won't be getting rid of it. Just looking to do something cool with it. I was also looking at the pre-runner style of truck but I'm really leaning toward 4wd. Thanks