2000 K2500 old body style with vortec 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sledneck48

Reaction score
Ok so here is the question... Let's say I want to build up my 5.7L so I can get at least 300hp. How can I do this and still use my PCM. Im figuring larger pistons and and a upgraded roller set up and mild cam better than a stock grind. Is a reprogram involved after the build. ? Can the upper plastic intake be eliminated for something better? I want to know because my PCM controls my ac, O2 , cam retard,ect...

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
If you install a good cam, and have a free-flowing exhaust you should be able to get to 300hp at the flywheel. With a new cam, however, you will need to get your computer tuned. Blackbear Performance is generally considered one of the best tuners for our trucks and is a great mod even on stock motors. The intake is a tough one though...the bolt pattern on the vortec intake manifold is different from the normal SBC pattern so you'll need a vortec-specific intake manifold. One option is to go to a carb, another is to get an intake from a marine vortec motor and modify it slightly to work with the truck motors, finally, you can get a 1" spacer that increases the airspace in the plenum and allows better flow around the injection spider. Vmax makes the spacer, part number 11011. Hope that helps, let us know if you have any more questions!

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
300hp is easy to do. it's cheap to make a vortec get 1hp/cid. you don't even need to upgrade the lower part of the engine. the heads flow really nice as is and with a cam, you can really do some nice stuff.

Sledneck48

Reaction score
Ok so what cam would you guys recommend. I've heard that you can on go with one that has only so much lift. So it looks like I will stick with that injection spider set up.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Yeah on with stock vortec valvetrain you can only get about .470 max lift, but if you want to get up to .525 you can swap to beehive springs, I would use the ls6 ones, with comp 787 retainers. That combination will increase the seal to retainer clearance and let you get more lift. As for a cam, we need to know what you want to use your truck for to be able to recommend something best for you

Sledneck48

Reaction score
Well I use it as a daily driver. It's a crew with the 4l80e and has full floating 10.5 rear end with I believe 4:10s. Im not looking for it to win any races however I want to wake her up as it is a heavy truck and originally came through with a 7.4

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
So would you be willing to swap springs and retainers, or would you like to stick with the stock parts? Also, would you mind getting a higher stall torque converter or do you want to stay stock on that too? On thing you can do is call a cam manufacturer and tell them what you want and they will custom grind one for you

Sledneck48

Reaction score
Yeah I would will get whatever I need to go with it and also I figured on like a 2800-3000 stall. I'd rather hear from you guys on here who have dealt with these vortecs and hopefully point me in the right direction.