2 key to 1 key converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeekstr

Reaction score
Is there a conversion kit for Chevys that have 2 keys to a 1 key option? Thanks

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I bought a set of lock cylinders that use the same key for both doors and the ignition... About the only way you're going to accomplish that. You can't change the older ignition cylinder out to the newer style key tho, if you were curious about that.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
our trucks keys are notorious for working on many other gm vehicles. most recently I opened my Aunts equinox that had the keys locked in while it was running with my Burbs key.

soooooo take you ignition key to the junk yard and find lock cylinders that it works with for your doors.

both of my trucks only have one key, but my burbs key opens my sierra and my sierras key opens my burb but neither work in the ignitions.

lmao.

Al

Last edited:

Zeekstr

Reaction score
I bought a set of lock cylinders that use the same key for both doors and the ignition... About the only way you're going to accomplish that. You can't change the older ignition cylinder out to the newer style key tho, if you were curious about that.
Thanks. Where do you find similar cylinders?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
our trucks keys are notorious for working on many other gm vehicles. most recently I opened my Aunts equinox that had the keys locked in while it was running with my Burbs key.

soooooo take you ignition key to the junk yard and find lock cylinders that it works with for your doors.

both of my trucks only have one key, but my burbs key opens my sierra and my sierras key opens my burb but neither work in the ignitions.

lmao.

Al
800s will do this too. Had an 02 Chevy truck and an 01 Yukon XL, locked the keys in the Yukon and thought, what the hell. Tried the truck key in the door and it unlocked it. Wouldn't turn in the ignition though. The Yukon key would unlock the Chevy door as well, also did not turn the ignition.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
My 03 Blazer's key would unlock my 97 Sierra when I still had the old lock cylinders lol. Wouldn't work the other way tho, and of course, the ignition would work only with its key.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^X2 To expound a little on this, the older models used 2 different keys. One will not fit in the other's cylinder.