1999 Chevy k1500 5.7 Vortec oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wheezy Salmon

Reaction score
I wish it wasn’t true. I hope it’s a faulty sensor but the symptoms don’t lie.
Well the motor isnt and/or hasnt knocked at all so i dont think its a main bearing failure. i believe its a sender unit. the low pressure happened after i mixed the 5w20 with the 5w30

Wheezy Salmon

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. the oil pressure sending unit is on the top of the motor on the back of the motor?

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Motor doesnt have to be knocking for there to be an issue with the mains. But yes the oil pressure sender sits right under the dist cap

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He's not saying it's actually under the cap. It's just to the right of dizzy. Far back, top of block.
5w20 did NOT cause this issue

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NO it did not cause the issue whatsoever. I'll tell you the same thing next time you see as well.

mistaake

Reaction score
Even if you did a whole oil change with 5w-20 it probably wouldn't even make a huge difference... there is no way that one quart of 5w-20 lowered your oil pressure.

Reaction score
If you did a full oil change to 5w20 you would see a slight drop in pressure when you are warmed up, with 1 quart i couldn't imagine seeing much of a drop if any . Anyway, verify that the problem actually is occurring with a mechanical gauge.I'm willing to bet it isn't an oil problem.