1999 Chevy k1500 5.7 Vortec oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Abuentipo

Reaction score
Change the oil see how that goes after that you might want to run a thicker oil in in I run 1040 sometimes 1030

Wheezy Salmon

Reaction score
alright, im gonna change the sending unit along with the oil and if i still have the low pressure ill run thicker oil

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I've also read another thread where if the clearance between the oil pickup and pan is too narrow you can have problems with oil pressure at higher RPM. 20 weight oil certainly isn't doing you any favors though. I run 5w-40 in my truck, factory gage indicates 60+psi fast idle when cold and anywhere from 22-30psi curb idle hot. Pressure goes from there to 40-45 when cruising. Does not burn any oil.

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean it's fragile. Like very if it's never been out of the block. I would hold the brass fitting with a wrench while you unscrew the sensor, then pull the fitting from the block to clean it out and re apply some new thread sealant. If the brass fitting snaps off in the block it kinda blows.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, when i accelerate from a dead stop or do a burnout, my oil pressure gauge drops to zero then comes back up. engine sounds fine when the gauge reads zero. And also my oil pressure is reading lower than usual. at idle is reads normal. cruising at 50 mph it reads about 30-38 psi when usually at that speed itd be a little above 40. I think the low oil pressure is caused by me putting about half a quart of 5w-20 when it already had 5w-30 in it. i added oil out of a panic when my oil gauge started doing that

Hopefully just a faulty sensor - but sounds to me like the beginning of the end of the main bearings.

It’s not the little bit of 5-20 you put in so don’t fret over that.

Wheezy Salmon

Reaction score
Hopefully just a faulty sensor - but sounds to me like the beginning of the end of the main bearings.

It’s not the little bit of 5-20 you put in so don’t fret over that.
oh come on dont say that lol. this is the second motor this truck has had