1998 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Did a little work on my truck this weekend. Replaced the dieing power steering pump, deleted the EVO with a 96 pressure line. I also installed a set of Cal-Tracs, made a huge improvement. The truck feels better than ever on the road now.

Awest623

Reaction score
Don't hate me or step into that flex fuel sensor just yet with the 4x. I had flex working with 24x. When I swapped to 4x with the 383 I had been running straight gasoline. I had the flex fuel sensor on it but it was stuck at the prvious ethanol % once I enabled it so it appeared to be working. I topped off the tank and the sensor never moved the alcohol %. 4x crank sensor bit kicks my flex fuel sensor off. Tayto and I are trying to find a work around for it. The code is all enabled on the surface, something between throwing the switch for 24x and 4x is messing with it. Its a disappointment for me as well at the moment. The good news is I set the stoich up for the E85, gave it a timing bump above 0.48 gm/cyl and it has never run better than on the P59 so not all is lost.

Mine has not been lean on hot starts.if you are running the marine intake I can send you my latest transient fuel stuff. Its not exactly perfect but it is a heck of a lot better than it was.

Any luck yet with enabling flex fuel with 4x crank? I don't know anything about hex and couldn't find anything in the .hpt to fix the problem. There's only one e85 station that I know of in Washington (I live close to it), so changing stoich isn't an option for me.

Awest623

Reaction score
@L31MaxExpress

If I were to install a 24x reluctor ring and change the system options (but not the OS), would that necessitate switching to coil-near-plug ignition? Or would it still run with the distributor?

Last edited:

Awest623

Reaction score
Quick update:

I replaced my power steering pump and replaced my injectors, went from 48lb to 36lb. The 48s where just way too much.
I also bought another GMT400. A 2000 Tahoe 4x4 Z71 at 147,000 miles for only $800. Everything works besides AC. Has been in a non-reported accident before, hence the mismatched body panels. But everything is straight and it runs perfect. Think I'll keep this one stock. Will be dropping it at Maco to get the colors matching sometime

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Awest623

Reaction score
24x and CNP should come as a set. Why the desire to 24x with a distributor?

Because I have no issues with the distributor system, but to run flex fuel on the P59 OS I must have a 24x reluctor ring (the alcohol percentage reverts to last known value when "Crank LO RES" is selected in the System Options). To the best of my knowledge, the OS determines which ignition system can be used. I know that everyone who runs CNP uses a LS operating system. But the OS I'm using is a 2005 Mexican L31 operating system on a P59 ECU. If I can run a 24x reluctor ring but still retain the distributor I'd be spending less to get flex fuel. Plus I would have to make custom exciter brackets to fit around my whipple if I went with CNP.

If it doesn't work then no loss. But if it does I'd be saving money and time while still being able to upgrade to CNP in the future. I just don't see the value in running CNP when my stock ignition system performs perfect.

In short, I want to run flex fuel without spending a bunch of money getting coil packs, brackets, licensing costs, etc.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because I have no issues with the distributor system, but to run flex fuel on the P59 OS I must have a 24x reluctor ring (the alcohol percentage reverts to last known value when "Crank LO RES" is selected in the System Options). To the best of my knowledge, the OS determines which ignition system can be used. I know that everyone who runs CNP uses a LS operating system. But the OS I'm using is a 2005 Mexican L31 operating system on a P59 ECU. If I can run a 24x reluctor ring but still retain the distributor I'd be spending less to get flex fuel. Plus I would have to make custom exciter brackets to fit around my whipple if I went with CNP.

If it doesn't work then no loss. But if it does I'd be saving money and time while still being able to upgrade to CNP in the future. I just don't see the value in running CNP when my stock ignition system performs perfect.

In short, I want to run flex fuel without spending a bunch of money getting coil packs, brackets, licensing costs, etc.

You know I may be about to answer your question myself. I have a lifter problem and I am not exactly happy with the cam in my 383 and I am about to pull it out and put a Summit 8802 in its place. I have a 24x reluctor I was thinking of slipping in there to see if it would work too. Ultimately I am going to the 58X 2009 TBSS PCM and the newer van harness I have, but that is a bit off still on that swap. Been extremely busy with things, just moved my mother out of the house she has been in for 38 years and will be spending the next mont or so of free time going through the nearly full 12' x 20' storage room we rented. After that I will have more time to mess around with it.

Awest623

Reaction score
You know I may be about to answer your question myself. I have a lifter problem and I am not exactly happy with the cam in my 383 and I am about to pull it out and put a Summit 8802 in its place. I have a 24x reluctor I was thinking of slipping in there to see if it would work too. Ultimately I am going to the 58X 2009 TBSS PCM and the newer van harness I have, but that is a bit off still on that swap. Been extremely busy with things, just moved my mother out of the house she has been in for 38 years and will be spending the next mont or so of free time going through the nearly full 12' x 20' storage room we rented. After that I will have more time to mess around with it.
Completely understand man. That's a hell of a lot of mental and physical work. Take care of yourself

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Completely understand man. That's a hell of a lot of mental and physical work. Take care of yourself
Physically and mentally exhausted at the moment. Definitely found some emotional jerking things too from both recent as well as long departed family members. Items burried in boxes that brought back loads of memories and what not around the house. Always seems like a move requires 3 times more time and 5 times more energy than you would expect.