1997 Subruban Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well first off, I am NOT the one building this tank. The guy that built my truck is building it. Here are some of the specs, I will try and remember to add pictures as he updates. I know some of you are going to start drooling.....

Starting a suburban project. Its 8 lug with a 454 under the hood.

-Front to back cage
-very comfortable 4 seater
-deavers w/ King 3.5x16 5 tube bypasses in rear
-Dirt Designs chevy race kit up front w/ 3.0c/o and 3.0bypasses (same as 3linkedchevy 1997 Silverado build)

Start of the project
You must be registered for see images attach

Start of the cage

Roof triangulated

Still need a few more tube and large Dirt designs cage gussets in the appropriate junctions.

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally some updates... here you go Suburban fans!!

The factory geometry for the springs was TERRIBLE for long travel. It had so much driveline plunge that over 12in of travel would have pulled the driveshaft out of the trans. We had a choice to redo driveline geometry or redo the suspension mounts and decided itd be easier for him down the road to stick with a stock driveshaft. So front and rear mounts were chopped and redone and a completely different rear shackle setup is being used then normal chevy. That way we could get the lift and travel we needed. Travel right now is 19in to the frame and will be bumped and strapped at 18ish.

We had the rear suspension completed, axle trussed, and truck sitting on the rear.....then the owner wanted a new rear axle lol. Oh well, new axle is much better. 3in wider per side (so we dont need wheel spacers),has detroit locker, 5.38 gears, and rear disc brakes! I dont even have a pic of the old axle finished so youll have to just wait a couple days for us to repeat it on this axle.

Top shock mount in the rear. We have to fully enclose the rear shock mounts to keep dust out so theres a lot of stuff around the shock mount. Ill get better pics today. It has a large aluminum access panel on the inside to get the bypass tubes, help remove shock, and get to the battery(s). There will also be a small aluminum panel on top (where the opening in this pic is) to get the the shrader valve on the shock for quick pressure changes when tuning.

Heres a quick shot of the start of the rear sheetmetal

And onto the front!! The front has been started and almost finished. Just needs steering worked out and a bumper then its assembly time. Ive built a similar kit to this before which pulled 21in travel bumped and strapped, but this burb is 8 lug which threw a wrench into the whole thing. We switched up the hubs to dana60 and had to redo the geometry of the upright to compensate for the additional scrub radius. The redesign combined with 3.0 cos has the suspension that should be bumped and strapped at 17.5" travel. Not bad though.

Shocks are 3.0co and 3.0 bypasses with 2.5x2.5 bumps. Bumps will strike off the top on the uniball.

He just dropped off 37s on Saturday so its time to start trimming the front glass

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what the owner of the shop told me, it will be used for spectating races and Baja runs. There will be a roof rack built for it so they can watch from the roof

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More updates!! Truck looks awesome on 37" projects

Ride height will have 12in of uptravel and 17.5in total travel. Truck is being built to be a baja chase truck so some off the trail driving might be needed. TONS of ground clearance for going over rocks and ruts.

Massive arms and dual swingset steering to take a beating. For now we will be running a steering stabilizer but later plans are ram assist.

Some dimes on a swinger

Dont mind the door jam, lower part wasnt bolted in for pic.

Rear suspension is the deavers. Actually cycles 21in but to keep the dshaft in check we'll strap it at 18in.

Axle truss

And quick mock up of the removable aluminum for the wheel wells.