1997 GMC Sierra SLE C1500 5.7L Header recommendation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I live in an area where I won't get in trouble for removing the two cats but I did note that currently the truck has three O2 sensors. Two are before the cats and one after. My headers have an O2 bung in them so that takes care of two of them but what happens to the third one? As in am I going to have the check engine light on? If so are there any workarounds?
Here is my write up.
Thread 'remove your cats, and make a mini cat for your rear 02 sensors.' https://www.gmt400.com/threads/remove-your-cats-and-make-a-mini-cat-for-your-rear-02-sensors.30681/

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Considering the truck is a '97, you could also tune the PCM to disable the rear O2 sensor codes entirely. A mail order tuner like Black Bear Performance may be willing to do this, or you can buy the JET DST software and do it yourself. More expensive than the workaround that Kenny posted, but IMO a more permanent solution.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I'm wondering at this point is if anyone has done this to their truck and what mufflers did you use? I like a rumble but not ridiculously loud.
My exhaust is 2.5" duals with an x-pipe. I used Cherry Bomb Salute mufflers, and they are too loud. I bought an additional Salute two-in two-out muffler to put behind the axle, but I haven't installed it yet, and I don't have the pipes over the rear axle yet.

Urban Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on mini cat del fix kennythewelder. Sure glad I live in Canada as I found it at Walmart on sale and it cost me just under $14 so at least for the time being that's a lot cheaper than a tune on a motor I'll be removing.
Thank you all for the responses.