1997 5.7 Vortec Bogging Down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello to all. I joined this sight because it has helped me out with most of my problems in the past, yet now I'm having a continuing problem that I can not figure out, and trying not to throw anymore money at it than I already have. Be forewarned. This is kind of a long post.

I have a 1997 K1500 with the 5.7 and 231,506 miles. I was having issues with it wanting to bog down whenever I gave it gas. However, once the RPM's went over 3000, it ran perfectly fine. Put a code reader on it, said multiple misfires and I had a code for every oxygen sensor there is. Put some seafoam in the gas tank, and the truck ran perfectly fine, that is until the seafoam was all gone. Then it would do the exact same thing again. Drove from San Antonio to Memphis, keeping seafoam in the tank and no problems. This led me to think the injectors were going bad. So I completed to MFI conversion and the truck ran fine for a couple of days. However now, until it warms, it does the exact same thing. Bogs down until 3000 rpm. Once it warms up, its fine. That is until I get on the highway and set in cruise control. It will run fine for a while, but intermittently start acting like its bogged down. I have to manually drop it down into 3rd gear, get it up over 3000 rpm and coast like that for a while, then I can drop it back into overdrive and it will run fine again. Until it doesn't. I checked the EGR valve and it doesn't stick at all. After spending $260 on new injectors, I really don't want to throw anymore money at the truck just guessing what I need to replace.

The truck had a new transmission put in a year ago. New spark plugs put in when I updated the fuel injectors. Upgraded alternator to 140 amp.

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is check the fuel pressure while driving.

Tom