1996 Tahoe 4/6 Drop kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TONKA337

Reaction score
This is my first drop kit installation going on my 1996 2 door tahoe. I am not new to suspension work, I'm just usually lifting trucks, not lowering. I'm looking for suggestions and personal opinions about different brands of drop kits. What worked best and what rode the best when completed. I've read about guys using DJM, Ridetech, and Stonefab kits etc.... As well as piecing different components from various kits. I'll post a pic of my tahoe as well as what I'd like to achieve when completed. Currently sitting on 20" wheels and 275/40R20 tires but considering replacing them as well, depending on what backspacing is required to stay tucked behind the fender wells. The main thing I'm striving for is a truck with a sweet stance and a REALLY GOOD RIDE. I'm hoping that you guys might explain which drop kit you chose and why you chose it over another brands. I've searched quite a bit about this topic here but, feel free to share another thread from the forum as well as experiences with different kits. Tahoe will get an LS swap, and paint. I figured, I'd start with the suspension first. Hope I'm asking the right questions here. The ride quality is very important. I'd appreciate your help and patience!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use a control arm kit for the front. It is CRITICAL to narrow the front track width on these trucks if you are going lower. Stock width control arms will put the front tires in contact with the inner fender lips and ruin a nice set of tires.
Front co tool arm kits that narrow the track width are Stone fab, IHC, and CPP.

I used IHC and am happy with the result, but only got 3 inches of drop by design. You're looking for 4 so you might combine IHC with a 1" drop spring or coilovers to get an extra 1 inch of drop.

For the rear, the 2 door and 4 door tahoes are different from the trucks and burbans due to leaf spring measurements and front hanger design. You have spec'd a 6 inch drop so hangers are not the best option. The fastest way to 6 inches of drop is a flip kit with c-notch. I think the flip kits ARE the same across all gmt400 offerings but you should confirm before buying a kit, because there may be a difference in the c-notch given the 2 door tahoe frame is different.

Here's my 4 door with 3 and 4 inch drop. IHC control arms up front and bell tech 4 door tahoe specific hangers and drop shackles. My tires are quite a bit larger at 31 inches tall vs yours. At the end of the day I've eliminated fender gap, which was the plan all along. As a side note it sits much higher now than it did with 2 inch drop all around and stock wheels and tires.

Attachments

• 20240224_174739.jpg
    20240224_174739.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 12

TONKA337

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. DJM has this 4/6 control arm drop kit. Doesn't come with spindles. Any thoughts on this kit? Also noticed that is has poly bushings. Are they squeeky?

1988-1998 Chevy/GMC C-1500 4inch front/6inch rear Lowering Kit (with upper control arms)​

TONKA337

Reaction score
Use a control arm kit for the front. It is CRITICAL to narrow the front track width on these trucks if you are going lower. Stock width control arms will put the front tires in contact with the inner fender lips and ruin a nice set of tires.

I used IHC and am happy with the result, but only got 3 inches of drop by design. You're looking for 4 so you might combine IHC with a 1" drop spring or coilovers to get an extra 1 inch of drop.

For the rear, the 2 door and 4 door tahoes are different from the trucks and burbans due to leaf spring measurements and front hanger design. You have spec'd a 6 inch drop so hangers are not the best option. The fastest way to 6 inches of drop is a flip kit with c-notch. I think the flip kits ARE the same across all gmt400 offerings but you should confirm before buying a kit, because there may be a difference in the c-notch given the 2 door tahoe frame is different.

Here's my 4 door with 3 and 4 inch drop. IHC control arms up front and bell tech 4 door tahoe specific hangers and drop shackles. My tires are quite a bit larger at 31 inches tall vs yours. At the end of the day I've eliminated fender gap, which was the plan all along. As a side note it sits much higher now than it did with 2 inch drop all around and stock wheels and tires.
I found these control arms that you mentioned from IHC. Says they reduced the track width ¾”. Is this sufficient enough? I'm thinking I could combine this with a coil over shock in case I wanted to go lower?

1988-1998 C1500 3″ FRONT LOWERING CONTROL ARMS

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Beautiful Tahoe, is this the one you put the cluster in?

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found these control arms that you mentioned from IHC. Says they reduced the track width ¾”. Is this sufficient enough? I'm thinking I could combine this with a coil over shock in case I wanted to go lower?

1988-1998 C1500 3″ FRONT LOWERING CONTROL ARMS

Those are the ones I used. 3/4" narrower works with my wheels which have 5.25" backspace and 8.5 inch wide.
If your wheels stick out more you might consider the stone fab or CPP arms because those are 1" narrower than stock and will provide another .25" clearance.