1996 k1500 vortec shot engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am building an aluminum head 6" rod 383 to replace the 350 Vortec in my 97 Express van.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a giant pile of Vortec engines all over America. It can't be that hard to find a usable block. I've got three of 'em in my shop right now.

It's about the same with Vortec heads. Yeah, there's a problem with cracking...but they aren't ALL cracked.

Going back to "camelback" heads an a carb would be a BIG mistake. Just fix the Vortec. If you want more power, add some stroke or more cam...if you're prepared to play games with tuning.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a giant pile of Vortec engines all over America. It can't be that hard to find a usable block. I've got three of 'em in my shop right now.

It's about the same with Vortec heads. Yeah, there's a problem with cracking...but they aren't ALL cracked.

Going back to "camelback" heads an a carb would be a BIG mistake. Just fix the Vortec. If you want more power, add some stroke or more cam...if you're prepared to play games with tuning.

Assault racing head castings can be bought off Amazon and be assembled using a head improvement kit from Competition products. I switched the cam and intake on my 5.7 and added tri-y headers. That woke the old 350 up. The 11:1 383 will wake up even more.

AaronP

Reaction score
IMO if you're going to go through all the work might as well go for an LS swap? More power and reliability with some good ol fuel injection.

You can make an LS swap virtually as cheap or expensive as you like if you're willing to spend time to do a LOT of research on proper installation and modification of things like the wiring harness and have some fab skills.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO if you're going to go through all the work might as well go for an LS swap? More power and reliability with some good ol fuel injection.

You can make an LS swap virtually as cheap or expensive as you like if you're willing to spend time to do a LOT of research on proper installation and modification of things like the wiring harness and have some fab skills.

LS swap won't be more average power maybe more peak HP but who drives around at 6,000+ rpm all the time? 5.7 with a cam and intake swap will make more power everywhere than a 5.3.

GregB

Reaction score
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same motor from jegs for 1600$ shipped. Arrived in 2 days. And it has more compression plus a better warranty. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/059/0282/10002/-1
It's not the SAME engine. The Jegs engine is rebuilt, the GM engine is "new".

As discussed in another thread, GM warranty depends on vehicle fitment: If it goes into a "recommended" vehicle, it's 36 month, 50K miles. If it goes into a vehicle that NOT on the "recommended" list, you get 12month/12K miles. You get service at any GM dealer.

Jegs warranty is 36 month, unlimited miles, but where do you go to get work done? You pay the shop, then wait for Jegs to cut you a reimbursement check?