1996 K1500 Frame Clean Up/ Rust Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would love to be that thorough, but unfortnately I don't think I'll be able to. I get off of work at 4 on saturdays, and I'm off on Sundays, So I'll probably get off work saturday and drive the 45 minutes to my cousins, do as much as I can that night, stay the night, and have everything painted and put back together on sunday, and be home for class and work on Monday. I don't know what all we will be able to do in that time, hopefully enough. I do plan on replacing brake lines too, at some point

A few more questions:
-What is a good frame paint?
-Would I need primer too?
-Is this something I can use a rattle can on?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I use Rustoleum Heavy Rust red primer, you can brush or roll it on. Then top coat it with whatever you like, I like semi flat rustoleum

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
About how much do you think would be needed to do the rear of the frame? Do you let it dry for the 24 hours that the site recommends?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I just buy it by the gallon, it's only like 30 bucks. I'd rather have more than enough, than have to try to stretch it.

If I brush it, I let it dry the 24 hours, but since I've been shooting it mixed with Naptha, I let it dry about 20 minutes in between coats, and 24 hrs before I coat it with anything else.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
1) Are there any replacements for the bars that bolt on and connect the frames?

2) Does anyone have any other suggestions for cleaning up the frame?

3) Do you think the frame will be strong enough to bolt an aftermarket trailer hitch on?

The pictures are from underneath the bed, near the tailgate.

Thank you in advance

That thing is super rough, if only it was undercoated early on. Anyways:

1. I'm not sure, never looked.

2. I'd sandblast it. You're gonna need compressed air (assuming you have it for the sandblaster) to blow all the small areas out to clear it of left-over sand. It'll hold moisture and cause rust (biggest problem guys make when they take a truck through the mud is not doing this first and just worrying about the outside paint).

3. The strength of the frame is fine from these pics. I wouldn't hesitate with putting a hitch on.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just buy it by the gallon, it's only like 30 bucks. I'd rather have more than enough, than have to try to stretch it.

If I brush it, I let it dry the 24 hours, but since I've been shooting it mixed with Naptha, I let it dry about 20 minutes in between coats, and 24 hrs before I coat it with anything else.

So, the timeline I mentioned isn't very realistic then, haha. I guess I'll have to think this through a little more, and probably take a day off. Thank you everyone for all of the help, I may have more questions at some point.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
So, the timeline I mentioned isn't very realistic then, haha. I guess I'll have to think this through a little more, and probably take a day off. Thank you everyone for all of the help, I may have more questions at some point.
I live in ct . Rust sucks. Worse is rusted exhaust parts.
Better paint it soon, oil paint will take about a week to dry after sept 1st due to cold nights.
I use rustoleum also . Right from home depot . A quart will do a frame.
Just get a wire wheel and go silly.