1996 C1500 fuel mileage mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, just got a '96 C1500 and I am wondering if there are any things I can do to increase fuel mileage?

I basically just drive 10km a day to and from school, all on highway at about 60 km/h.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Basically, minor tune up stuff goes a long way. Fresh air filter, plugs and wires, cap and rotor button, fuel filter, tire inflation, ect... That and driving style have the biggest impact on fuel mileage in these trucks. TB spacer is a gimmick on your truck (Vortec engine).

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe it has a K&N air filter so maybe if i got a new filter on that it would help, not sure how old it is. Don't feel like doing all the plugs,wires, cap and rotor myself since I don't know how and last truck I took to a shop to have that all done it cost me $500.
Inflated tires today, began driving lighter haha.
Will probably change the fuel filter when I get back to my farm.
Should be all decent than thanks .

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Really a tune up is gonna be one of the few "mods" that you can justify the cost on. What I mean by that is, technically a whole free-flowing exhaust is gonna give you better MPG over stock, but you'll never really be able to save enough money from better fuel mileage to justify the cost of the exhaust (if you want to do the exhaust anyways cause they're cool, by all means do it but I think you see what I'm getting at)

Fuel filter, plugs, wires, and all that good stuff.

As for the K&N air filter, they're made to be reusable. Just clean it, no need to get a whole new one.

The best mod you're gonna do for fuel mileage in your situation is gonna be how heavy your foot is.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the guy I bought it off said he had the exhaust done, never thought to ask what or how exactly. I mean its pretty soft but can purr a bit when I stomp on it.
I paid just under a grand to put dual exhaust on my 94 and I wasn't sure it was worth it besides the look from my ass end.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Well the guy I bought it off said he had the exhaust done, never thought to ask what or how exactly. I mean its pretty soft but can purr a bit when I stomp on it.
I paid just under a grand to put dual exhaust on my 94 and I wasn't sure it was worth it besides the look from my ass end.

It's really just going to help your sound and minor improvements in horsepower and torque. The advantage of the sound and of the looks a dual exhaust provided were enough for me to get one, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it just for a small increase in MPG because you will most certainly be disappointed.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
My suggestions:

Keep front bumper valence.

Re gear

Run stock tire size

Light weight wheels

Remove tow package if not needed.

Run iridium plugs
Switch to synthetics
Fuel filter
Seafoam
Vacuum gauge
Just general tuneup like everyone is saying. Set timing to 0

Replacing the cats can do wonders.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Don't feel like doing all the plugs,wires, cap and rotor myself since I don't know how and last truck I took to a shop to have that all done it cost me $500 .

Super simple job. Easily done by a novice with basic hand tools and a manual or youtube help. It will definitely not cost $500 to do yourself. Do a little wrenching yourself. You'll save money, learn something new, appreciate your truck more, and you may find it enjoyable to do.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Super simple job. Easily done by a novice with basic hand tools and a manual or youtube help. It will definitely not cost $500 to do yourself. Do a little wrenching yourself. You'll save money, learn something new, appreciate your truck more, and you may find it enjoyable to do.

This, just be sure the rotor seats on it properly, and you put the wires back in the right place. Plugs just screw out, new ones screw in. Im sure there are 1000 videos of how to do this on youtube. Should cost less than $100