1995 C1500 4L60e to Manual Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
So I want to swap my truck to a nv3500 or nv4500. I just want to know what all I need to do the swap. I'm thinking about picking up a parts truck so I'll have everything I need.
1) Will an nv3500 be okay for a stock truck? I know it's not as desirable as an nv4500 but my truck doesn't make anymore power than stock and I don't plan on it anytime soon. I would obviously clean and rebuild whatever transmission I get.

2) As far as nv3500s go, I remember reading recently that s10 nv3500s would fit. What years of the s10 would the transmissions work? What about clutch/brake pedal, slave cyl, etc.. would all of that swap over from an s10 as well or would I need parts from a 400?

3) I know Dave swapped from a 700r4 to an nv4500 but would it be the same just without a transfer case and a different transmission? So, I could just follow dave's thread and get it done?

I just want to gather all of this info before I start ordering parts and searching craigslist. It'll be a while before I'll gather the courage to actually attempt this.

Thanks

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Okay so nv3500 is the way I'm going with it. Now to find one. I need one from an s10 (4.3L obviously) or a 400. I need to make a junkyard run. Parts list would be great. Master cylinder, slave cyl, clutch, flywheel(or flexplate, having a brain fart right now), all the hardware from...well everything, etc..

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I think you need to make sure you get it from 2wd model, since you are. Otherwise you will need to divorce the transfer case (not sure if this is a real pain, or not). Make sure you get the pedal assembly from the same donor vehicle, too. Also take into consideration you power plans. The NV3500 is only rated for 300 ft.lbs/tq - obviously that's a rating siding on the er of safety, but it won't last long behind much more than that.

I've been looking into this, too - as it seems harder to find a ECSB C1500 Manual, that's in good condition and not beat to snot. I'll most likely end up picking up a auto, and converting it.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
An nv3500 will be plenty for your truck imo. As far as the s10 trans go idk but ik the pedal mounts different. You could follow Daves swap for the most part same basic job. You list sounds pretty decent. You have to remember the tune also. Yes you need one out of a 2wd. Same internally different outputs.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I think you need to make sure you get it from 2wd model, since you are. Otherwise you will need to divorce the transfer case (not sure if this is a real pain, or not). Make sure you get the pedal assembly from the same donor vehicle, too. Also take into consideration you power plans. The NV3500 is only rated for 300 ft.lbs/tq - obviously that's a rating siding on the er of safety, but it won't last long behind much more than that.

I've been looking into this, too - as it seems harder to find a ECSB C1500 Manual, that's in good condition and not beat to snot. I'll most likely end up picking up a auto, and converting it.
Yeah I would get a 2wd and probably the driveshaft out of the donor (as long as it's an ecsb). I don't remember reading in saves thread whether he got a new driveshaft or not but I know he said the nv4500 was 1/8" longer than his 700r4.
Converting an auto?

An nv3500 will be plenty for your truck imo. As far as the s10 trans go idk but ik the pedal mounts different. You could follow Daves swap for the most part same basic job. You list sounds pretty decent. You have to remember the tune also. Yes you need one out of a 2wd. Same internally different outputs.

Right tune, cluster and column are on theist too. I don't plan on doing anything more than ultimate tbi mods, tb spacer, injector pod spacer.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clusters are the same. But I wouldnt use an S10 tranny. NV3500s are barely strong enough for a 4.3 in an EC-I know, I had one. If it were me, and going through all the trouble anyway, I'd go with a T-56. The swap is all the same, but you get better gears. If you dont want to go that way, at least go with a NV4500.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
but a cluster from a manual won't have the PRND321. Or am I wrong?

So T56 swap is exactly the same? There's a write up that Alcoious (?) did on another forum for a t56 swap

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the clusters are the same, the prind321 is on a removable plate. Yeah, Alocious did a real good write up, but there are a couple others out there too.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, another thing. Theres now an adapter bellhousing that allows you to use an LS1 T-56 and then you can use a normal clutch set-up, and not the POS LT1 pull clutch that costs an arm and a leg.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Unless Scott is dropping the truck and turning it into a performance vehicle, I'm failing to see the point of a T56. The NV4500 is a great transmission for a truck used as a truck. I would be nervous about using the T56 while hauling or towing a decent load.