1995 4.3 to 5.3 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
This is my first post here sorry if I’m asking something thats been covered a lot. I’m just looking for some reliable info and hoping to find it here. I have a 1995 Sierra single cab short bed 2wd 4.3L automatic.
I just bought a low mile 2001 5.3L from a suburban.
I have a few questions before I do the swap.
Will my torque converter work from the 4.3L?
Will my motor mounts work with the adapter plates I bought?
And could someone just give me a rough bottom dollar parts list for the things I’m gonna need to make this 5.3 work in my truck. Please and thanks!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is my first post here sorry if I’m asking something thats been covered a lot. I’m just looking for some reliable info and hoping to find it here. I have a 1995 Sierra single cab short bed 2wd 4.3L automatic.
I just bought a low mile 2001 5.3L from a suburban.
I have a few questions before I do the swap.
Will my torque converter work from the 4.3L?
Will my motor mounts work with the adapter plates I bought?
And could someone just give me a rough bottom dollar parts list for the things I’m gonna need to make this 5.3 work in my truck. Please and thanks!
I don't know all the answers to your questions, but I can answer a few:

As long as you keep the stock converter on the your transmission, it will work. The transmissions mated to the 4.3 had a higher stall speeds. However, you may want to source a later-style transmission. The GMT-400 4L60e V6 and V8 came with a 298mm input shaft. The '99+ GMT800 4L60e all came with a 300 mm input shaft, even the V6. Again, you have to keep matching TC, but the 300mm is supposed to be stronger. Also, I believe the '95 electronics were kinda unique...something about PWM or something like that. Watch this video for changes to the transmission. He also states the later ones were more robust:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

What motor mounts did you buy? I believe they are supposed to push back the LS engine 1" back to get it back to register at the same location to the bellhousing?

Is your 5.3 drive by cable?

Reaction score
So I ordered a flex plate adapter for the torque converter situation. My 5.3 is not a dbc but I am converting it to one. I gotta new throttle body and a harness from Amazon made for dbc.