1994 GMC K3500 350 TBI to 454 TBI engine swap-could not find any info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
This is my first post so bare with me.
I did search GMT400.com and on the internet but I was unsuccessful.

My company has a 182,000 mile 1994 GMC Sierra K3500 regular cab, long box, single rear wheel, plow truck. It is a supreme dog when towing.
It has a 350 TBI and a 5 speed manual trans. I am not sure what trans it is (NV4500?). It is completely stock except for a cat back Magnaflow exhaust.
It runs extremely well except I think it has a head gasket leak (overflow tank bubbling as it runs). We have to constantly put coolant in it but it's not going in the oil yet. You can smell it coming from the exhaust.
I will fix the head gasket issue but I believe the engine won't gain much more power from the fix.

The truck is basically resigned to plow duty and nothing else. My boss and I feel it's a waste for such a stout chassis. We would like to use it to rescue/tow our fleet vehicles.

I was wondering how much trouble it would be to put a 454 TBI engine in it. I can get a complete, low mileage, 454 TBI for around $800 around here.
Are the wiring harnesses the same between the two engines?
I'm sure the computer or PROM chip will need to be changed.
Alternator, power steering (hydro boost), A/C compressor brackets will need to be changed?
I'm sure the exhaust "Y" pipe to the cat will need to be changed. They truck needs to be emissions legal.

Anyway, you get my drift.
If someone here has done it, please point me in the right direction/thread.
Thanks.