1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
unless you can get an OEM one
well I bought a supposed oem one..just looks different than all the pics I see online from GM or Ac Delco.. Guess I'll just roll with it since the oem level powerbond seems like it may be equal if nothing else...
Maybe I'll reach out to AC Delco with the pics to get the scoop on the reasoning for the difference in appearance....
I guess after I talk with WIX regarding the oil filter I got that looks different as well...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Counterfeit parts are a serious problem. Neither our own Customs people, nor Amazon seem to be doing much to fix it.

This country desperately needs an import tax, and to E-N-D ALL "trade agreements" because they limit the consumer's ability to sue the manufacturers of defective items.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The capitalist response is that you have the power to take your money elsewhere and that the market will self-regulate this.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The capitalist response is that you have the power to take your money elsewhere and that the market will self-regulate this.
Yeah...That next day or overnight shipping is addictive... I should maybe cancel my Prime membership...

I emailed AC Delco and WIX last night regarding my curiosity on why the items purchased from Amazon look different from what I was expecting.... Will update on any responses

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM started putting ventilated plugs in the SBC oil galleries; and other engine families have had one or more ventilated oil gallery plugs since Fido was a pup. Most guys say it's to "lube the cam chain" but the real reason was to quickly bleed air from the lifter oil gallery so the lifters don't clatter. The air blows out the vent instead of being pushed through the lifters.

Most soft plug kits don't supply the ventilated plugs. But they are available in various sizes
Since my harmonic balancer is removed, and I'm going to change the water pump since the bearing seems rough after 3 years...
is it just a matter of removing the timing cover to peek at what's behind there in regards to these plugs in question? Or am I not understanding?

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Since my harmonic balancer is removed, and I'm going to change the water pump since the bearing seems rough after 3 years...
is it just a matter of removing the timing cover to peek at what's behind there in regards to these plugs in question? Or am I not understanding?
IRCC, timing cover seals on oil pan at the front. Would likely have to drop the pan to reseal it properly. If I’m wrong, I trust others will call me on it.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IRCC, timing cover seals on oil pan at the front. Would likely have to drop the pan to reseal it properly. If I’m wrong, I trust others will call me on it.
boo... It does say in manual to remove pan....I'm doing just about everything else...definitely not going to do that..
I think I had to drop the front diff when I did that iirc...

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OEM version is very low-priced. I'd be asking where it's made
powerbond waz manufactured in Australia, but I am not sure where now since they got bought by Dayco
China..

not sure why their website says/leads to believe otherwise...is a crankshaft damper something else? OEM versions get made in Mexico?...idk
"The Dayco manufacturing plant in San Luis Potosi produces crankshaft dampers for a variety of light vehicle manufacturers including Ford, FCA and GM. The 107,000 square foot plant opened in 2013 and is ISO certified."

WIX responded about my concerns about the oil filter. I pointed them to this thread and the part where my concerns were brought up and sent them pictures. That was 2 weeks ago.

GM told me to send my concerns and pictures about the damper I got on Amazon. I did a week ago.

Crickets

Attachments

• IMG20240417093145.jpg
    IMG20240417093145.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
China..

not sure why their website says/leads to believe otherwise...is a crankshaft damper something else? OEM versions get made in Mexico?...idk
"The Dayco manufacturing plant in San Luis Potosi produces crankshaft dampers for a variety of light vehicle manufacturers including Ford, FCA and GM. The 107,000 square foot plant opened in 2013 and is ISO certified."

WIX responded about my concerns about the oil filter. I pointed them to this thread and the part where my concerns were brought up and sent them pictures. That was 2 weeks ago.

GM told me to send my concerns and pictures about the damper I got on Amazon. I did a week ago.

Crickets
I wonder if their performance line is made there as well?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the tap at startup has still stuck around. Very random. No rhyme or reason. Hot,cold,1 minute after driving,30 minutes, no tap in morning,,,Never know. But it always quiets up.

Tonight I figured I'd give the valves a quarter turn from the 3/4+ 3/16 turn I was at.
Now I don't know if driving this around for several weeks would require me to get back to zero lash first but, I just went with a quarter turn from where I know they were.
Threads showing on top of the rockers are still less than when I know the truck didn't have issues so I feel safe I could go even more.

So I had the drive belt off to find #1 tdc easier and started the truck without it reinstalled on accident. It actually took me 2 minutes to realize this...not good....

I guess the obvious question is how bad is this? I've heard of testing without the belt for short periods..but 2 minutes??

The other question I have is that, when I did start it up without the belt, every single lifter tapped like crazy...and this was the reason I didn't notice the belt because I was shocked to hear this, assuming I wouldn't hear anything since going more preload, and even more shocked it was all of them when it's usually just been one....

Put the belt on and fired it up and still heard a couple of taps but then it was quiet....
Maybe the lifters need time to adjust but wouldn't they have done that when I first started it?

What is the belt doing? Applying tension to the crank? Should the truck have been quiet without the belt and not every lifter tapping like mad?
I really don't know .