1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when it comes to people -or- parts, real trust comes from how they behave/deliver under pressure, not how they look.**

So the first time I got to use a Tektronix (analog) scope, it was just different. And my mentors could see/measure anything they desired with the Tek. And I have never been disappointed by one.

Same thing for the Fluke multimeter. Once I get to the point where 2 different consumer-grade multimeters disagree with each other, then out comes the Fluke, reserved for just such occasions. Again, I've never been
disappointed by a Fluke.

In the land of high performance electronics, I am only as good as my test equipment. (!)

A bidirectional scan tool that can perform the CKP relearn in addition to the CMPret would be a nice start, and also being able to do the ABS bleed underhood would be faster than finding the nearest gravel road I guess... ...my test equipment dreams are always bigger than my piggybank. :0)
THANK YOU THANK YOU thank you thank you!

Nobody ever tests their test equipment against some standard, to confirm that their test equipment is accurate and repeatable. Buying test equipment and torque wrenches from untrustworthy sources...cough Hazzard Faught...cough could be a false economy.

Looks like I'm getting ready to Pledge Allegiance to a different brand of oil filter.
Purolator and Wix are companies within the Mann + Hummel corporate umbrella. The local NAPA has been running a sale on NAPA Gold filters this month, and it has been...difficult...to not go in and stock-up. Fortunately, I still have more older-stock NAPA-Wix filters than I need for awhile.

Champion Laboratories is another major manufacturer of filters, almost all of them custom-labeled for other "brands". They have at least three "lines", a bottom-feeder, a mid-grade, and a top-quality unit. The customer selects what they want to sell, and Champion Labs makes it for them. Note that Champion Labs is not the same company as Champion spark plugs.

I am likely to switch my fleet over to Baldwin filters when my supply of NAPA Gold/Wix runs out, but haven't bought any yet.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am likely to switch my fleet over to Baldwin filters
Nice price...$12.99 for the B35-S from NAPA..
Better the $20 I just dropped on the last Mobile One at Oreilly's...and no oil change special..boo..autozone had a special but no filter...but I'd burn $? in gas and 40 minutes driving to and from NAPA...lol

Nobody ever tests their test equipment against some standard, to confirm that their test equipment is accurate and repeatable
I think eevblog...nevermind...found it...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think eevblog...nevermind...found it...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Excellent video. "Measurement Confidence, Longevity, & Trust in the product."

I especially liked the phrase 'Measurement Confidence'. The best analogy I have
for this is when you have a GMT400 sitting out in the driveway during a record-setting
cold snap. There is the way you feel when you look outside and you are hopeful it
starts. And you really need to depart in the morning. Odds are that it is going to work.
But it may or may not. This makes for a long night of fitful rest. This is the way I feel
with most test equipment.

And then there's the faithful traveling companion where you *know* it will start.
Call it "Starting Confidence." How much less worry/stress is there overnight when you know
that the machine is going to deliver on the promise in the morning?

Coming up with the right answer is so much more fun than coming up with a wrong answer.
And at my age I don't any time to waste on not having fun. :0)

FWIW. Cheers --

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I noticed a slight wobble at my torsional damper. Could explain some of the missy feeling I'm experiencing?
Still getting the random tapping at startup...Get a good 30 second tap session about once a day for no rhyme or reason. Usually warm....After a 30 minute stop if I had to find a common theme,,,

Anyway, just got the GM 6272222 balancer from Amazon because I don't learn too well...

Looks weird...
Has 3 dimples where everywhere including the Amazon pic shows 2...No stamping on the unit anywhere...Some unknown number etched into it...Came in a plastic bag with a molested GM sticker that looks genuine....
!st pic is what all the AC Delco offerings and the Amazon pic show...
There is a broken print of what appears to be hecho en mexico...

idk....

as frustrating as the upload capabilities ..lol

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 18-34-16 Amazon.com GM Genuine Parts 6272222 Crankshaft Balancer Auto...png
    Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 18-34-16 Amazon.com GM Genuine Parts 6272222 Crankshaft Balancer Auto...png
    590.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20240407175557.jpg
    IMG20240407175557.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20240407175927.jpg
    IMG20240407175927.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20240407184305.jpg
    IMG20240407184305.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG20240407184324.jpg
    IMG20240407184324.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate seeing balancing marks (drillings, in this case) on the inertia ring.

At best, the inertia ring should be neutral-balanced separately from the hub, which would be balanced to suit the engine design--neutral or offset as the engineers intend--so there'd be drillings or other evidence of balance on both ring and hub.

At least, the balancing should be done on the hub, so the intertia ring isn't deliberately off-balance, and therefore trying to orbit the hub. That would lead to stress on the rubber elastomer.

OTOH, the OEM balance is actually working for the huge majority of dampers.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see. So there could be more balancing marks depending on the manufacturing?
Just not sure why there are some kind of id stamps? in the oem and ac delco pics...and this new one doesn't have any...

This older used oem one on thee bay has a load of drillings..

Attachments

• hbeb2.jpg
    hbeb2.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 8
  • hbeb.jpg
    hbeb.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 8

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anyone have any thoughts on the Powerbond balancers? Seem to get good reviews ...

Schurkey, the racing version doesn't have the balancing marks on the inertia ring...is this what you meant? Obviously this one seems excessive...

for some reason, I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews on oem? don't last as long as they should?

also, am I supposed to be replacing the crank bolt and washer? Already have the front seal coming.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OEM version is very low-priced. I'd be asking where it's made.

If you already have a crank bolt and bigass washer in good condition, I don't know why you'd need another one.

I don't see any balancing marks on the SFI-rated damper. Which might mean that it's balanced some way that doesn't show in a marketing photo.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OEM version is very low-priced. I'd be asking where it's made.
Not sure...looks like Dayco is who they are connected to?

Mexico it appears....

"The Dayco manufacturing plant in San Luis Potosi produces crankshaft dampers for a variety of light vehicle manufacturers including Ford, FCA and GM. The 107,000 square foot plant opened in 2013 and is ISO certified."

but then this thread mentions someone getting it in a box that said made in Australia?..idk...maybe stock from before the move to Mexico?

not sure about the balancing on the ss version but it seems like, although made the same with regards to bonding, a little more stable from reading..saw this talk ....

"The PB1117SS on the other hand ,uses a full lip on the back side to trap the hub to the pulley, and on the front side, it uses a C type clip to retain the hub to the pulley that was as well. So with the SS unit, no fear of a wobble problem again down the road since the center hub is sistered both sides to the pulley to keep it in place as well Hence it still has the rubber inner section between the hub and pulley, but retained as well over just the glue of the pulley and hub to the center rubber piece isntead."
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure...looks like Dayco is who they are connected to?

Mexico it appears....

"The Dayco manufacturing plant in San Luis Potosi produces crankshaft dampers for a variety of light vehicle manufacturers including Ford, FCA and GM. The 107,000 square foot plant opened in 2013 and is ISO certified."

but then this thread mentions someone getting it in a box that said made in Australia?..idk...maybe stock from before the move to Mexico?

not sure about the balancing on the ss version but it seems like, although made the same with regards to bonding, a little more stable from reading..saw this talk ....

"The PB1117SS on the other hand ,uses a full lip on the back side to trap the hub to the pulley, and on the front side, it uses a C type clip to retain the hub to the pulley that was as well. So with the SS unit, no fear of a wobble problem again down the road since the center hub is sistered both sides to the pulley to keep it in place as well Hence it still has the rubber inner section between the hub and pulley, but retained as well over just the glue of the pulley and hub to the center rubber piece isntead."
You must be registered for see images
powerbond waz manufactured in Australia, but I am not sure where now since they got bought by Dayco. I would think they would be better quality than most (pioneer, etc), unless you can get an OEM one. i bought a used "performance" balancer for my LT1 that was Powerbond and it is very good quality, but this probably doesn't help you.

reuse bolt and washer unless threads are in bad shape or heavily pitted. this ain't a TTY bolt like newer stuff.