1993 Silverado Stepper Motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil pressure is staying maxed out & sometimes wraps way around; fuel stays “full” forever , and engine temp hardly ever moves now from lowest temp. I can’t find a sticky anywhere on how to change them out. Can anyone point me to a thread or YouTube vid? ThAnks in advance

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you check your fuses? Ice never had this happen to me so I'm not sure but did you check the connections to the sensors?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There all working. They just tAke 5-10 minutes before leveling off at correct temp. Just started doing this in the last month

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There all working. They just tAke 5-10 minutes before leveling off at correct temp. Just started doing this in the last month
You have 3 gauges that are all reading inaccurately during warmup, then start reading accurately after 5-10 minutes? I'd look at what ties these gauges together. They all have a common harness, and a common ground. I'd start there, as it's unlikely 3 different systems would have the same issues simultaneously. I would check fuses, but don't put much stock in it as a fuse makes a circuit work, or not work, I've never known of a fuse causing an intermittent problem. Do your other gauges have issues at the same time? Tach, and speedo all good? I'd check voltage levels of your various gauge inputs at the harness during warmup and then again after they start reading correctly. Use a good known ground and measure against the ground pin in the harness, see if there's a discrepancy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tach & Speedo good. Battery level good. Oil temp way off at first. Then levels back correct, Engine temp always been low / has never read since I got it 2 yrs ago. Fuel ; it shows I go almost 200 miles before the needle ever makes it to 3/4 tank, then around 1/2 it’s 250 miles. By 300 I better be hunting a gas station.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tach & Speedo good. Battery level good. Oil temp way off at first. Then levels back correct, Engine temp always been low / has never read since I got it 2 yrs ago. Fuel ; it shows I go almost 200 miles before the needle ever makes it to 3/4 tank, then around 1/2 it’s 250 miles. By 300 I better be hunting a gas station.
The fuel level sounds about right for these trucks, I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit in mine about 7500 miles ago, and I have the same issue. Question is, if it was reading at half a tank before you shut the truck off, does it immediately read at half a tank when you start it again in the morning? Either way, I'd definitely check the signal the gauge is getting when it's reading incorrectly vs. When it's working correctly. If the signal doesn't change, the gauge is bad, if the signal changes, then compare to a known ground vs. The ground in the harness. If those 2 readings match, then the ground isn't the issue, you've got bad information going to your gauges, test at each sending sensor to ensure it's sending the correct voltage. If they are, there's something wrong between the sensor and the harness, rewire and call it a day, if the sensor(s) is/are sending bad data, then you need to diagnose the sensor(s).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I only drive it about once a week .. & always less than 5-10 miles. I have a company truck, but I do drive it a lot in hunting season. 1k miles a week. It’s a hand me down from uncle ( brand new) then grandpa got it around 2010 til he passed in 2018. I’m still finding small issues here & there 2 yrs later. I knew it upfront but I always wanted it

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil pressure is staying maxed out & sometimes wraps way around; fuel stays “full” forever , and engine temp hardly ever moves now from lowest temp. I can’t find a sticky anywhere on how to change them out. Can anyone point me to a thread or YouTube vid? ThAnks in advance

As you can see, this is a common problem in our trucks. To clarify, GMT 400's use an aircore motor for gauges- steppers became available on the GMT 800 platform. And like many things with our trucks, they're becoming hard to find. If you do a search for GM air core motors you'll find a couple of YouTube videos and a handful of people that still have them- mostly on Ebay. I haven't done this yet (oil and fuel are acting up on mine) so I can't really advise on their replacement, but there is info out there on them

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I dealt with a low reading temp gauge on Ashley's C1500 when we got it. Sending unit wasn't any good. Then I made the mistake of drilling two larger than I should have holes in the thermostat, thing never heated up. I was surprised that my definition of "tiny" allowed enough flow to keep the engine cool at anything under highway speeds.