1993 Interior Questions and Options for Seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have owned a 95 before which had an updated interior but now I own a 1993, and it is my first time owning one.

Going to an older interior is always a bit hard to get used to but It is starting to grow on me after hearing about the 2008+ having cracked dashes after 20k miles. I have been searching a little bit and was wondering what I can do in terms of my bench seat.

My bench seat is a 40/60 split with no arm rest, therefore I have a cupholder in the dash. My truck is a standard cab and my seats are in poor shape, lots of rips in the vinyl.

1) Since it is a standard cab, do I need to use seats specific to my body style 1989-1994? I am assuming extended cab and crew cab seats would not fit as they probably extend further back.

2) What are the different configurations for seats for regular cab models? I know there are buckets+console (not sure if regular cabs had this), full bench, 60/40. Is there anything else? I want to be able to seat three people but I also want an arm-rest. Is there a bench configuration or 60/40 configuration with an arm-rest that can be raised to accommodate a third person? This would be ideal for me as I like putting my arm somewhere, and I also want to be able to seat 3. The seat in the picture below would be ideal, but it is from a newer interior

You must be registered for see images attach

3) Do I need to stick with pre-1995 seats or does anything from the OBS generation fit (1989-1998)

And finally, an unrelated question for the interior. I have an aftermarket head-unit (which I will be ripping out immediately), the space above my climate control has a big empty storage bin, I am assuming this came with the radio kit? It must be a wiring nightmare behind there since the deck is now in the dash.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe any seats from GMT 400s are interchangeable, not too certain though. As for the head unit, if the PO was smart he bought a t-harness to install his aftermarket radio. To go back stock should be as simple as unplugging the aftermarket stuff and plugging back in the stock stuff. The way the radios work in these trucks is like this: the part you see in your dash with all the buttons isn't really the radio, its the controller. The radio mounts below the dash and the controller plugs into it. Also the cassette deck plugs into the radio box under the dash, if you have one that is.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Much appreciated,

Long story short, which seats will fit a 1993 regular cab in the front? All GMT400s?

Someone should know :(

Thanks

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The short answer is 'all' seats from those years will bolt in, however if you had 60/40 or bench, and you want to go to buckets, you have to drill holes in the floor.

Replacing a bench with a bench is straightforward, same with buckets, or 60/40. When changing the arrangement, you may have to drill a few holes.

97+ 3rd door pass side seat base ( buckets ) is a bit different, as the seat slides way forward for access to the backseat.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The bases come off the seats, if you want to use just the 'seat' and your tracks / base. To be honest, I haven't swapped seats into a regular cab, but on a crew cab, I have helped remove 60/40 split bench and install buckets. ( had to change out the passenger side base, as it was for 97+ 3 door )

I know one of the holes had a weld nut, but was not tapped. Drilled up through the bottom, and ran a tap in the hole. This was a crew cab though, who knows what your floor pan has.

Been a while since I have pulled seats out.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not wanting to swap in buckets and I do not want to drill any holes, just a better condition bench, 40/60 or 40/20/40 if I can find it.

So any 88-98 bench or 40/60 should fit? Someone told me to avoid extended cabs since they were designed to recline forward and back for passengers, to stick with regular cabs or 3+3s since the front seats are fixed