1993 C3500 Cummins or Duramax Swap ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im waiting for the day when the rest of the country follows Commieforia and every diesel on the road can only be 10 years old or less.

I didn’t know that. That’s stupid. Is there any exemption you can get?
That law doesn't apply to non-commercial use light pickups, it's aimed at commercial diesels:
California Code of Regulations, Title 13, Division 3, Chapter 1, Article 4.5, section 2025(c)(10) and (12).
Section 2025(c) are the list of “EXEMPTIONS” to the regulation and lines (10) and (12) read as follows:
(10) Motor homes for non-commercial Private use;
(12) ”Trucks with a GVWR of 19,500 lbs or less with a pick-up bed used exclusively for personal, non-commercial, or non-governmental use

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn’t know that. That’s stupid. Is there any exemption you can get?
I don't know for sure. As of right now it only pertains to Class A and B trucks. But wouldn't surprise me that autos will go that route as well. I also don't know if what I read is true or not. I can't remember where I read it but it sounds like something they would do.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That law doesn't apply to non-commercial use light pickups, it's aimed at commercial diesels:
California Code of Regulations, Title 13, Division 3, Chapter 1, Article 4.5, section 2025(c)(10) and (12).
Section 2025(c) are the list of “EXEMPTIONS” to the regulation and lines (10) and (12) read as follows:
(10) Motor homes for non-commercial Private use;
(12) ”Trucks with a GVWR of 19,500 lbs or less with a pick-up bed used exclusively for personal, non-commercial, or non-governmental use
It doesn't apply yet. I can see them changing it to include light duty. But that could just be the old grouchy man in me coming out.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't apply yet. I can see them changing it to include light duty. But that could just be the old grouchy man in me coming out.
The statute I quoted is on the books, goes into effect January 2023. It's possible they'll extend it to light trucks, but you'd have the sponsored by Mommy and Daddy coal-rolling a$$hats to thank if that should occur.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The statute I quoted is on the books, goes into effect January 2023. It's possible they'll extend it to light trucks, but you'd have the sponsored by Mommy and Daddy coal-rolling a$$hats to thank if that should occur.
That is true about them I can't stand them. Every time I see a puff of black out of my 6.5 it always makes me wonder what's wrong whys it doing this lol.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think that's only commercial trucks. They're not actually forcing 2011 diesel pickups off the road, are they?
No its commercial trucks. But with the way they pass laws It wouldn't surprise me if they start going after pickups built before a certain year.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never owned a Cummins, but I do beleive they're great engines. I'm not so sure I like the idea of having one on a GMT-400, Though. The frame has to be notched on the passneger side, and I'm not sure I like the idea of it sitting on top if the IFS. I've got no real advice, but I'll definetly be reading your build thread when you get to that point.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never owned a Cummins, but I do beleive they're great engines. I'm not so sure I like the idea of having one on a GMT-400, Though. The frame has to be notched on the passneger side, and I'm not sure I like the idea of it sitting on top if the IFS. I've got no real advice, but I'll definetly be reading your build thread when you get to that point.
I’d like to see one with a SAS. That would be really cool.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
If
i were to do a Diesel I would do a 12 valve Cummins or a 4BT for the reliability.

And the injectors aren't $350 each like a 24 valve or a Duramax.