1993 C3500 Cummins or Duramax Swap ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everybody!
I know this has been beat to death on here but I am looking for some info.
I acquired this 1993 C3500 dually with the traveltime trailers conversion package out of Texas (rust free). The plan was to sell it and go and buy a new truck but this thing has grown on me... quite a bit.
It currently has a 6.5 Detroit which is fine by itself, but once I hook onto my 44ft race trailer with it all loaded down.. she's a dog.
I would like to do a Cummins or Duramax swap and maybe put an Allison or an NV5600 behind it... or at least something with decent overdrive - right now with the 4l80e at 70 mph she's wound up pretty tight.
Is there anybody that has done this that could provide a list of everything that will be needed? The truck gets used pretty regularly in the spring/summer/fall and is stored during the winter. My plan is to try and purchase everything so I can try and knock it out over the course of winter.
I am capable/willing to modify the firewall and/or trans tunnel if need be. I would like the air conditioning to be functional as well.

Any information the wealth of knowledge on this site could offer would be beyond appreciated!!!

The paint work will get done after the engine swap!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a midly tuned LMM/6L90 swapped square dually, it'll pull anything that'll fit on a 18' trailer like it's not even there. Less popular than a Cummins or Allison, but way less expensive. This was yesterday, granted not exactly loaded up, but still.

Reaction score
We have a midly tuned LMM/6L90 swapped square dually, it'll pull anything that'll fit on a 18' trailer like it's not even there. Less popular than a Cummins or Allison, but way less expensive. This was yesterday, granted not exactly loaded up, but still.

That thing is BADASS!!

I am by no means set on a Cummins or anything to be honest. I just want to make this thing reliable and able to actually pull something without a 15 minute 0-60 time every time I have to stop. It would also be cool to be able to run 75 mph on the freeway without it sounding like its going to blow apart.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That thing is BADASS!!

I am by no means set on a Cummins or anything to be honest. I just want to make this thing reliable and able to actually pull something without a 15 minute 0-60 time every time I have to stop. It would also be cool to be able to run 75 mph on the freeway without it sounding like its going to blow apart.
It belongs to a buddy's widow, he passed away last fall and there's a few of us who she trusts to use his stuff. He had a bunch of vehicles, most have been or will be sold, but there are a few that will remain either in the inner circle if she needs money, or with her. We're slowly finishing it, it still needs quite a bit of love.
Driving it is bittersweet, it's a great towpig, but using it makes me miss him more.

Reaction score
It belongs to a buddy's widow, he passed away last fall and there's a few of us who she trusts to use his stuff. He had a bunch of vehicles, most have been or will be sold, but there are a few that will remain either in the inner circle if she needs money, or with her. We're slowly finishing it, it still needs quite a bit of love.
Driving it is bittersweet, it's a great towpig, but using it makes me miss him more.
I am sorry to hear about your buddy's passing. It's very cool that his wife allows a select few to use his stuff rather than it just sitting and rotting away.

I will definitely stay on the lookout for an ambulance or similar as a donor, thank you for the info!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about your buddy's passing. It's very cool that his wife allows a select few to use his stuff rather than it just sitting and rotting away.

I will definitely stay on the lookout for an ambulance or similar as a donor, thank you for the info!
Yeah, she knows stuff needs to be either sold or used, and there's about 4 of us who have permission.

The gauges, steering wheel and column, switches, and the electronics are all in the square and functional. If you can find a complete donor you'd be golden. Last I looked (pre-covid) they were going for 3-5k depending on mileage.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, she knows stuff needs to be either sold or used, and there's about 4 of us who have permission.

The gauges, steering wheel and column, switches, and the electronics are all in the square and functional. If you can find a complete donor you'd be golden. Last I looked (pre-covid) they were going for 3-5k depending on mileage.
They’re going for a bit more than that because the government is cracking down on diesel emissions. It’s really hard to get a new truck deleted and stuff. You have to do it yourself now cause a shop won’t.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They’re going for a bit more than that because the government is cracking down on diesel emissions. It’s really hard to get a new truck deleted and stuff. You have to do it yourself now cause a shop won’t.
Im waiting for the day when the rest of the country follows Commieforia and every diesel on the road can only be 10 years old or less.