1992 k1500 A/c compressor won't engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nitrosport_5

Reaction score
My truck is a 1992 k1500 with the 5.7 TBI. I've got a factory A/C setup using r12. Last year I had it filled and it worked great all year. This year the A/C compressor won't run and I do not get cold air. Last time this happened the compressor would cycle too often an the A/C light would flash.

What are some other things to check? I don't want to have to pay another $150 or more to get my A/C working good again.

Thanks

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Check the fuse and relay, if both are good then if you know where the dryer is pull the plug that is attached to the low pressure sensor on the dryer, with the engine on use a paper clip to jump the connector together, if the compressor runs then you are out of freon, if does not then there is another issue that should be checked out by a ac repair person. Do not leave the paper clip in there for more than 3 seconds.

nitrosport_5

Reaction score
Could the low pressure sensor be faulty? Or do you think its more likely low on freon? Just had the ac worked on last year.. Can't be low already? The relay and fuse checked out, jumped the compressor started up.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Could the low pressure sensor be faulty? Or do you think its more likely low on freon? Just had the ac worked on last year.. Can't be low already? The relay and fuse checked out, jumped the compressor started up.

Can be the switch, they are a know "weak point" in the gm ac system.

But it could also be leaking somewhere.

First step would be to have the pressure in the system read, go from there.

Or you could fall back for the hail marry pass and change the switch. They're somewhere around 20 bucks usually. But you could possibly just throwing another 20 bucks away with "praying and spraying" parts at it.

The port where they screw in has a check valve in it so the switch can be removed without loss of pressure. Just be sure you are taking the cycling switch out and keep your face and hands away from the port, just in case.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is a 1992 k1500 with the 5.7 TBI. I've got a factory A/C setup using r12. Last year I had it filled and it worked great all year. This year the A/C compressor won't run and I do not get cold air. Last time this happened the compressor would cycle too often an the A/C light would flash.

What are some other things to check? I don't want to have to pay another $150 or more to get my A/C working good again.

Thanks
Has this been resolved yet?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
I'd get the pressure checked. The compress won't engage if there is less then 20 psi in the system

Sent from my 350 TBI powered iPhone