1992 gmc 350 tbi cruise control problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

'92gmc350tbi

Reaction score
Hello everybody! Just joined this site I absolutely love this gen of chev/gmc trucks!!

Anyways my question to you all if about the cruise control. I turn it on and nothing happens I push the button nothing happens. No lights light up nothing at all. I already checked all the fuses in the cab and none are blown all are good. I haven't check any fuses in the engine bay but I don't think they have to do with cruise. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!!!!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There aren't any cruise indicator lights on this series of trucks, unfortunately, so you don't have any visual cue that it's been enabled or set.

The most common cause of cruise failure on 88-94 is bad wiring in the lever; it breaks internally usually where it bends to go into the column. If you're handy with a multimeter you can use the continuity function at the cruise harness connector; it's a 4 pin edge connector that clips in to the metal dash support in the general area above your left knee. One pin is common; the other three are cruise "on", "set/decel", and "resume/accel"

Second in line of the usual suspects is a bad brake switch, even if your brake lights still work. Also 88-93 have an adjustable brake switch that can sometimes be out of whack but usually that will also result in brake light problems. 94-up are non-adjustable.

A little less common are just flaky contacts in the switches & button. I've brought a few back to life by soaking the crap out of them in contact cleaner and working the switches/button repeatedly until they start to behave. That's probably only ones where they never got used by the previous owner, though...

Richard

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my cruise stopped working on my 92' it was because of my brake switch. It would be intermittent and then just not work at all. Also my Torque converter would not lock up when I had this problem. The brake switch will have 2 circuits so it will not always mean your brake light will stop working when the other circuit (cruise, TCC) stops working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got the same problem and thought about changing the wiring harness. Where would I get a new one? Dealer only item?