1991 K1500 Charging problem related to brown alternator wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the shaolin

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1991 K1500 that has had a chronic electrical problem. It has recently gotten worse and it stranded me on the way to work this morning :(

Truck has 114,000 miles, 5 speed, originally v6, previous owner swapped in an 1988 TBI 350. It was my daily driver for 2 years and then I bought a car and now it only gets driven when I need the 4x4.

Here are the symptoms:

-Truck RARELY runs at 14v. The voltage gauge is usually about halfway between "dead" and "charged" while driving. I'll call this "half."
-Occassionally, the gauge will drop to "dead". When this happens, you've got about 5 minutes to pull over and yank on the brown wire coming out of the alternator. When you do this, the idle picks back up, the gauge jumps to either "half" or "charged", and everything is fine. High rpm or bumps seem to make it drop back to "dead". I had to pull over and yank on the wire 3 times this morning. The 4th time, I wasn't fast enough and the truck died.
-Battery has a slow drain. If the truck is parked for more than a day or two, it is completely dead when I get into it.

The battery and alternator are both new and test good. I think that brown wire goes to the dashboard gauge.

If I can't fix this easily, I'm looking for the best way to rig it. (Maybe run the brown wire to the red wire going to the alternator, and add a battery disconnect switch to kill the slow drain?

Thanks!

the shaolin

Reaction score
I picked up a 100 ohm 10 watt resistor and wired it between the alternator and the +12V IGN wire on the cruise control.

The battery was dead, I barely got the truck started. I climbed in and the voltage was at 10 and dropping. The truck started to stall. I frantically mashed the gas pedal. Stilly dying. Finally, with a triumphant roar and giant cloud of blue smoke, the voltage gauge shot up to 14 and stayed there. Hopefully that did the trick :) Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers