1990 K2500 350 5.7 TBI Stalls in reverse or drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the compression test. Starting on the passenger side going back to front (8,6,4,2) heres what I got:
Drivers side's back to front(7,5,3,1):

Looking online, I am finding it should in much higher, but I will let your guy's tell me.
1. Is the gauge accurate? I test my compression testers by plugging them into "shop air" and comparing the two gauges plus the gauge on the air compressor regulator. Most any quick-connect compression tester I've ever seen uses Industrial Interchange couplers, if that's what you're using for compressed air, just plug the tester into the air hose.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

For the record, I'd like a gauge to be both accurate and repeatable...but repeatable is more important than accurate (within reason). If I know the gauge always reads 20 psi low at an indicated 130 psi, I can add 20 and know that the reality is 150 psi. But if the gauge reads anywhere from true to -20, randomly...I'm never sure what the real number is.

2. Does the engine crank at normal speed? Slow cranking results in low compression numbers.

3. What is your altitude? Cranking compression numbers go down as altitude increases.

4. Throttle open? Some guys make a big deal about having the throttle WFO. Far as I'm concerned, that's not "bad" procedure, but it's not actually needed. If the throttle is opened to "fast idle" position, that's good enough. Anything beyond "fast idle" isn't really needed, but doesn't hurt.

Just so nobody asks, I put the tester in, cranked it 4 different times.
What do you mean "4 different times?" Sounds like your procedure is faulty. I crank the engine ONCE per cylinder test, but long enough for the test cylinders to come up on compression at least five times, and often longer.

Some guys make a big deal about the "first hit", the needle-jump when the cylinder cranks through the first compression stroke of the test. I couldn't care less about "first hit" as long as the ending pressure after several compression strokes is adequate. Around here, I'm disappointed at anything under 150 for typical older V-8s. I've seen cylinders run with 80 psi, but the engine is clearly in trouble. I've seen cylinders with 50 psi cranking compression run, but not at idle. Takes some RPM before they fire.

Last edited:

Joe B

Reaction score
Hi Schurkey,

What I meant by cranked it 4 times, was I bumped the key to start it 4 times.

I am about to head out and do a wet test now. I'm hoping it doesn't change much!

Joe B

Reaction score
So I was thinking about what Schurkey said and I realized I did the compression tests wrong. I realized after I did the 1st 3 wet and I didn't have time to run the truck to burn off the oil to do it over.

I am doing this during a family dinner, so I am just uploading a photo of the test numbers. As you can see the numbers are much better now that I did it correctly.

The last time I did a compression test I was in shop class in high school more than 23 years ago.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I was thinking about what Schurkey said and I realized I did the compression tests wrong. I realized after I did the 1st 3 wet and I didn't have time to run the truck to burn off the oil to do it over.

I am doing this during a family dinner, so I am just uploading a photo of the test numbers. As you can see the numbers are much better now that I did it correctly.

The last time I did a compression test I was in shop class in high school more than 23 years ago.
Ideally they should be within 10% of each other. If those numbers are wet and they came up a fair amount from dry and that indicates the bottom end is hosed. If those are dry numbers they aren't horrible but they aren't great either.

Joe B

Reaction score
Here are the numbers with the difference in percent

Wet Dry % difference Dry Wet % difference
155 155 0% - 137 NA
122 117 4% - 125 NA
130 120 8% - 130 NA
125 113 11% 115 125 9%
Front

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have ZERO faith in "wet" compression testing.

1. You've got no evidence that the oil will spread around the top ring. More likely, it pools at the lower edge of the piston top on a V engine or a slant engine, or it puddles in the piston dish on an upright, inline four or six (or inline eight). Piston motion may splash the oil around, but you dont know how evenly it's getting spread.

2. By adding several CCs of non-compressable liquid, you've effectively reduced the size of the combustion chamber...of course the pressure increases.

If your compression test results are poor, it's time to move on to leakdown testing, and/or cylinder-balance testing.

Together, cranking compression test, leakdown test, and cylinder-balance test are the "Three Sisters" of cylinder diagnosis.

Last edited:

Joe B

Reaction score
Well, I like sisters!

I will have to try those also, but get the manifold today. I will put it on tomorrow and see if that solve my problem.

Joe B

Reaction score
I don't really know what you are talking about with "MIL" I am just going to guess you are talking about the check engine light.

It does work, if I over rev the engine, the light will come on and stay on until I shut the truck off. It will then reset and go away.

I do need to get that sensor connected, its just a matter of time. Maybe this weekend.