1990 K2500 350 5.7 TBI Stalls in reverse or drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light = Check Engine light = Service Engine Soon light.

Given the service manual pages posted earlier in the thread, the MIL is supposed to light when the knock sensor is unplugged.

I've never heard of one coming on because the engine was "over revved", though.

Joe B

Reaction score
I replaced the manifold and it fixed my problem. It run so smooth now, its weird.

I learned that back pressure on the exhaust is more important that I ever knew.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I now have to figure out how to use my meter and the amprobe to set the rpm on the tbi.

Thank you to everyone who helped me out here.

Joe

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the manifold and it fixed my problem. It run so smooth now, its weird.

I learned that back pressure on the exhaust is more important that I ever knew.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I now have to figure out how to use my meter and the amprobe to set the rpm on the tbi.

Thank you to everyone who helped me out here.

Joe

I don't think 'back pressure' had as much to do with it as the O² sensor being confused.

Either way, glad it's running better.

Joe B

Reaction score
Here's a follow up question. Should I redo the timing first then set the rmp's on the tbi, or set the rmps on the tbi and then redo the timing?

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a follow up question. Should I redo the timing first then set the rmp's on the tbi, or set the rmps on the tbi and then redo the timing?

I would do the idle speed first, then the timing.

Don't be surprised if you have to go back and forth between the 2 a couple of times. Which isn't a big deal if you have the timing light and hand held tach hooked up.

When you start messing with the timing the idle speed will change so some readjustment of that will more than likely be required.