1990 454 Y-pipe Upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've looked around a little bit and haven't come up with much. Is there an existing y-pipe available besides the direct stock replacement? I'm looking to get away from the tiny pipes, tight bends and the terrible merge point. Will a later year (vortec 7400) version fit up to the early TBI manifolds?

I'd hate to go to the trouble of fabricating my own, just to find out that something was already available. And yes, the manifolds are staying. It's a stone stock 454 SS and I just need to redo the exhaust due to rust and hackery. I'd really like to ditch the highly restricted y-pipe while I'm at it.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
There is a thread about a less restrictive y pipe for the 5.7's that Playing with TBI responded to . See if that company has one for the 7.4

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it bolts to the manifolds, but the Vortec manifolds will bolt up of you need those. Vortec pipes are pretty healthy but they do have a section that necks down right at the beginning.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I've looked around a little bit and haven't come up with much. Is there an existing y-pipe available besides the direct stock replacement? I'm looking to get away from the tiny pipes, tight bends and the terrible merge point. Will a later year (vortec 7400) version fit up to the early TBI manifolds?

I'd hate to go to the trouble of fabricating my own, just to find out that something was already available. And yes, the manifolds are staying. It's a stone stock 454 SS and I just need to redo the exhaust due to rust and hackery. I'd really like to ditch the highly restricted y-pipe while I'm at it.
Jegs lists a JBA 454 SS "y" pipe for 1988-1991 c 1500 PN 578-1820 SY for $184.99

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jegs lists a JBA 454 SS "y" pipe for 1988-1991 c 1500 PN 578-1820 SY for $184.99
Thanks, I had found that y-pipe when I was looking around at Summit but it says it only fits the JBA headers.

Side rant... Jeg's website blows even more than I remembered. I typed that part# into the search and nothing came up. Had to go find it manually. It'd be real nice if they brought back the master catalogs if they are never going to improve their website. Jeg's has lost many thousands of my dollars to Summit because of that.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. The pipe fit well. It is two piece. So there is plenty of adjustment to line the flanges up to the manifolds. Later I switched to shorty headers and expanded to a single 3.5 inch pipe. That made a pretty good difference.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a thread about a less restrictive y pipe for the 5.7's that Playing with TBI responded to . See if that company has one for the 7.4
Yeah, mine said it only fit JBA shorty headers but, they lied, ha ha. They fit my Summit Racing (made by Pace Setter) shorties too. They used the ball joint, no donuts, bolted right up :waytogo: - YMMV
You must be registered for see images attach