1989 K3500 SRW Brake Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I decided to try the brake upgrade that Lawrence Tolman was showing on his Youtube channel. I have a 1989 K3500 SRW. I got a set of knuckles and lower control arms from a 1999 Silverado 2500 and a complete rear axle from a 2002 Silverado 2500HD. I started with the rear and removed all the brackets and leaf spring mounts. Nothing on the 2002 axle was in the same spot as my 1989. I mocked it all up and welded it together and sand blasted the housing and painted it.
You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Super Nice! Was your axle a Dana 70 or the 14 bolt?

I've been thinking about doing this swap myself. Your thread is going to motivate me! Thanks!

Reaction score
I installed the front lower control arms and knuckles and all the 2002 2500HD brakes on the front. The 2002 brake hoses worked with some modifications to the mounting bracket. I used a tapered reamer that was 2 inched per foot to ream the upper ball joint hole. I made a 3/16" thick large washer to shim the castle nut up so the cotter pin would engage it properly.

Reaction score
Super Nice! Was your axle a Dana 70 or the 14 bolt?

I've been thinking about doing this swap myself. Your thread is going to motivate me! Thanks!
The rear axle is the 14 bolt. I was 1.5" wider than the original rear axle but that was only .75" per side and it is barely noticable.

Reaction score
The lower shock bolt mount on the 1999 lower control arm worked. I had to pull out the shock and press out the lower steel bushing and shorten it and reinstall it.

Reaction score
At this point in the swap I wanted to swap to the GMT800 master cylinder. My thoughts were fluid capacity for the giant calipers, 1/4" brake lines on both front and rear for the big calipers and a larger bore to feed the big calipers. The size of the master cylinder where it fits into the booster/hydroboost is larger on the GMT800 master so it wouldn't fit into the hydoboost already on the truck. The push rod distance was different between the GMT400 and GMT800 also. Once I lengthened the push rod I removed the hydroboost unit from the GMT800 mount and installed it to the GMT400 plate.

Reaction score
I welded the studs on the original mount and put everything on the truck. The hydoboost unit is from a 2004 Avalanche. I has the larger accumulator and came with the proportioning valve seen in the picture. I used it because it was readily available at the wrecking yard when I went there one day.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I knew your username seemed familiar!? How are you liking your 8.1/4L80e swap?