1989 K2500 5.7L is acting like it "almost" wants to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm at around 259K miles and have been trying to get my truck running better. It's been a plow truck/backup truck for me for a long time now.

A while back it starting stalling on me when I would be pushing snow and come to a stop. I started having to keep on the throttle a bit to keep it running.

Well..that started a saga of trying to get things back to running smoothly..which was happening for years before it just started dying one day.

I looked under the rotor and noticed lots of rust..when poking around rusty pieces fell out. Distributor was shot. So I put a new one in and things ran a bit better.

Figured I would give it a good tune up and replaced the coil (which looked original). Again..ran a bit better.

Still..the stalling issue remained and I was having a hard time timing it. I figured the chain was original so I put a new chain in it. It ran a bunch better but still stalled.

Fuel pressure tested just a bit on the low side so I just put in a new fuel pump.

It started much easier after that. I moved it up the driveway and noticed it was still stalling.

I saw a test procedure for the EGR valve, so I pulled it out and it actually tested OK. Push up diagram and plug hole..it held pressure.

Compared to a new one it did not seem to move as freely so I put the new on back in. Kinda a pain to access, so I figured I would go with the new one.

Didn't try to start it for a couple days and when I did it "almost catches" and then keeps cranking.

Looks like good spray patter in the TBI. Seems to almost want to start without pressing accelerator.

When you floor it (which used to get it to start)...it doesn't even seem to "almost start" now.

Anyway..pretty frustrated. Figured I would go around and check all my grounds for good measure..working on that now.

Think I should put old EGR back?

Oh..I just got ALD droid and was hoping it would help me..but it wouldn't start.

Sigh.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you recheck the fuel pressure after the new pump? The new pump could be crap or the regulator could be weak.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you change the fuel filter when you did the pump? When cranking do you see oil pressure building?