1989 Chevy speedo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the TH700R4 in my 89 C1500 with a 4L60E and a Painless Torc transmission controller. Everything is working except, I have no idea how to hook up the speedo. The controller has an output signal (1 wire) but how do I connect it to the speedo?

Anyone got an idea how I can have the original speedo working?

thank you

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You should be able to get the speed signal from the same place it was on your 700R4; the sensor in the tailshaft housing. Or do you have that hooked into the controller?

Richard

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 4L60E has a standalone controller that provides an output signal which can be used but how should I connect it to the original wiring?

Not sure about the color codes of the original wiring and they also were cut. It is also a 2-wire sensor on the TH700. Don't want to experiment to much as I do not want to damage the 4l60E controller.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I disconnected my speedo on my 1990 GMC I installed a rpm gauge to see how fast I was going well I hope you get it figured out good luck.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK I'm gonna try again. Your 700R4 had an electronic speed sensor in the tailshaft. Your 4L60E does, too. Hook it up just like your 700R4 was.

Unless you're a 4x4, which in that case the speed sensor is in the transfer case and wouldn't have been disturbed in the swap..

Richard

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a 2wd and I got it working, I connected the controllers output signal to the wire from the speed sensor that goes to the bulkhead and the other one, I used as a ground.

Works perfect!