130mph Cluster - Fuel Gauge Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I had an Escalade cluster in my '99 Yukon that worked perfectly. After that, I installed this Z56 Police Tahoe cluster in my Yukon a while back.

You must be registered for see images attach

Didn't take me long to realize shortly after that my fuel gauge had stopped working... So I swapped step motors (two or three times) with my old one - still didn't work. I resorted to swapping fuel pumps after that. Still didn't work.

After doing a lot of Googling I ran across a few things that indicated that only 99+ clusters would work. Here is one quote from another GM forums I ran across:

"Starting in 1998 gas senders were not directly connected to gauge anymore. The sender goes to the PCM and is processed there before going back to the gauge cluster. That means that the PCM now is a factor in the problem and unfortunately there is no tech data to isolate it as the cause except that you have to check sender and gauge individually. If they and the wiring both check out find then it would be assumed the PCM is at fault."

If I remember correctly, my police cluster was from a '97 Tahoe. So having read this, I thought that since maybe the cluster was from a pre '98 that it wouldn't work in my truck. I swapped my Escalade cluster back in. Still no fuel gauge. I also had a spare PCM sitting in my garage that I swapped in. No fuel gauge.

Where would you guys go from here? I've been driving this thing for about a year now going off of my trip odometer and I'm ready to have my gas gauge back!! I considered a ground... But it's a Texas truck with only 90k on it and not a spot of rust or mud underneath - still has the stickers on the frame from the factory. When I fill up the gas gauge goes to full and very slowly goes down as I drive and never goes below 3/4 tank.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ever get it to work? I've been using the trip meter for a year or so myself, read sometimes changing fuel pump corrects it but you say it did not on yours.