10 bolt or 12 bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm working on a 91 RCSB and have been looking at building the 10 bolt that's in it. New chunk, gears and axles, I have read in a few places that if built right a 10 bolt can handle 1000hp. But this afternoon I asked a buddy if he knew where I might be able to get a 14 bolt like the 454ss has and he said that he didn't but he had a 12 bolt rearend end I could have. It has 3.73 gears but it's an open carrier. Should I put money into the 12 bolt or keep looking good for a 14 bolt? The most I expect my truck to put out as far as horse power is roughly 500 unless later on in do an LS swap and twin turbos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
A 10 bolt can most definitely handle 1000hp, its the torque that gets them. Unless it's been modified the 12 bolt won't fit. Just get a 14 bolt sf out of a c2500 and you're good to go

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
A 10 bolt can be built to handle power. Where it lacks is weight carrying capacity and tire size. Agreed, the 12 will not fit without modification. If a drag only application is your only goal. A 10 will work for you. But agreed the 14 is your best and cheapest route.

bigboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 10 bolt can be built to handle power. Where it lacks is weight carrying capacity and tire size. Agreed, the 12 will not fit without modification. If a drag only application is your only goal. A 10 will work for you. But agreed the 14 is your best and cheapest route.
This truck will never carry a load. It'll mainly be for drag racing and some cruising. It has been a 2 year project already and I have been looking at rearend components lately and asked my buddy to find me a 14 bolt sf and he said I could have the 12 bolt he had laying around. Of course it needs rebuilt and it's not a posi so I'll probably just build what I have if I can't locate a 14 bolt sf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk