04 Suburban 2500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the motor out. I decided to leave the trans in as I am keeping it, as there are no problems with it, and no need to remove it. Set the 6.0 aside. Hope someone picks it up, so I can use the funds for an 8.1, and if I really have to, another 6.0.
I guess the next steps will be power washing the frame rails, and painting them.
You must be registered for see images attach

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the new parts rig home. Can't wait to start tearing into this thing! I drove all day to get it- from Long Island to south of Buffalo and back. What a ride!

Attachments

• 20231216_112307.jpg
    20231216_112307.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231216_221021.jpg
    20231216_221021.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 7

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a couple hours before work today, so I started taking some stuff apart on the parts truck. 6.0 to 8.1 swap is pretty much a direct drop in, however the passenger side motor mount is different.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got alot done today on both trucks. I took the transmission and t case out of the black truck, and got alot of stuff removed and disconneted on the parts truck. The goal for tomorrow is to hopefully get the motor and trans out. Won't be able to drop it in the black truck because the motor mount bolts snapped, and i need to order a new bracket.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apparently the 8.1 passenger side engine mount brackets are not availible online, they only have the drivers side everywhere i look. I hope drilling them out will work.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the ol big block out of the parts truck...it wasn't exactly easy..ended up carefully yanking it out at the end with my Duramax when it got stuck.

And removed the heavy duty trailer hitch, i'd be stupid to not take it.

And got the rear of the truck up on jack stands, going to remove the axle tomorrow.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Axle out. Leaving it in the yard until I get the parts truck scrapped. I don't have any room to pull my Land Cruiser out of the garage. Once I do, i'm gonna roll the axle in, service and paint it.