Undercarriage Prep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My undercarriage, from under the engine to about the transfer case is EXTREMELY filthy there is a thick layer of mud/oil everywhere. every time i've working on something i've taken a scraper to it and there is still quite a lot to get off I have also pressure washed it about 3 times.
(seller told me the gearbox busted and oil got everywhere.) I also believe there is a slight engine oil leak oil drops from the crankshaft sensor onto the center link but there is so much black atv there along with mud that its challenging to pin down where exactly its coming from hence my desire to get it as clean as possible and I figured I'd really try to hit it while I have the front end off.

whats the best method of approach? sadly I don't have access to a lift I feel like that would've made it somewhat easier

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like complimentary rust prevention. Manually removing as much debris as possible before cleaning with some type of degreaser is likely your best bet.

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like complimentary rust prevention. Manually removing as much debris as possible before cleaning with some type of degreaser is likely your best bet.
as much as i'm hating all the scrapping the good looking metal underneath makes it worth it. i've been using 'GUNK' engine degreaser its ok. is there something stronger?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wonder if some of it is actually old undercoating?

The only time I've had grease/oil thick enough to not be effectively removed with a pressure washer, was on a ex-municipal truck with a Detroit Diesel.

Oven cleaner could be used in the very heavy spots.... keep it out of your eyes and off your skin, Though.

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was painting my frame, I still had a lot of the original rubberized undercoating that I was trying to scrape off. It was a pain. Scraping alone got a lot of it but what really sealed the deal was 'Goo Gone'. I sprayed that on and left it for maybe 15 minutes and I could wipe the rubber undercoating off with a rag.