Truck not turning over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi I have 1992 C2500 Silverado 350,
I replaced the battery with a brand new one today, now when i turn the key it doesn’t turn over

I've been assuming everything "worked" before and @Kevin99 replaced the battery because he determined it was failing.

If my assumption is correct, then other discussions are probably irrelevant... "solenoid", etc. The attendant problems he's having are likely related to what got changed, i.e., the battery and the connections to it.

I've suggested he measure the voltages under load to determine if there's a high-resistance ("poor") connection between the battery cable's connectors (which often oxidize) and the battery terminals.

Last edited:

Kevin99

Reaction score
Is it just me? Am I hallucinating? That solenoid on the fender is not part of the GM wiring harness. Somebody added it later.

Looks to me like there's a missing cable on that fender-mounted solenoid, assuming it's for the starter motor and not some other accessory.

How are the wires arranged on the starter solenoid--the one attached directly to the starter motor? I'd expect a heavy cable (~4 gauge) on the big post at 12:00, a heavy cable or copper lug on the big post at 6:00 leading to the starter motor internals, a smaller 12-gauge wire on the "S" terminal, and--maybe--a medium-sized wire of 8, 10, perhaps 12-gauge from the big post at 12:00 up to a junction block somewhere for power distribution.

WHICH solenoid? The one on the fender, or the one attached to the starter motor?

Kevin99

Reaction score
thats exactly what i thought about the fender wall solenoid, as far as i can see there is no physical connection between it and the starter.
On the starter there is what i see as a normal solenoid, one heavy cable from the battery going to the main post, with a slightly smaller purple cable going to the smaller connector, there is no cable on the 2nd smaller post.
I’ll send a couple of pictures over later when i can get under the truck, its currently pouring down with rain. I’ll also detail where the cables from the fender wall solenoid go.
I’ve got a 2nd battery on charge now, so I’ll try that out. What annoys me is earlier in the week it started perfectly, didn’t use the car for a couple of days, came out tried to start it and nothing!
I’ll get back to you later.
Appreciate your help.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was starting normally, and suddenly no start. Could you have left something powered up ? Something was drawing power overnight. Or having a full charge battery did your starter decide to die.

Kevin99

Reaction score
If it was starting normally, and suddenly no start. Could you have left something powered up ? Something was drawing power overnight. Or having a full charge battery did your starter decide to die.
I’m certain nothing was left on, think i’m going to pull the starter and bench test it as soon as it stops raining.

Kevin99

Reaction score
I’m certain nothing was left on, think i’m going to pull the starter and bench test it as soon as it stops raining.
Ok, pulled the starter out, hooked it up with a fully charged battery, connected a remote starter switch and nothing. So I guess its a new starter motor.
One other thing, when the starter was out of the truck, i turned the ignition switch to start, and it made the exact same clunk noise. I assumed that it would not make any noise, as both of the cables in the engine bay were totally insulated and isolated from each other, would that indicate another issue?

Kevin99

Reaction score
That sounds like a flat battery. :confused:

I would take the connections loose from the solenoid and clean them up anyway. Including the mounting plate, that is the source of the ground.

Keep us updated. :cool:
Ok, pulled the starter out, hooked it up with a fully charged battery, connected a remote starter switch and nothing. So I guess its a new starter motor.
One other thing, when the starter was out of the truck, i turned the ignition switch to start, and it made the exact same clunk noise. I assumed that it would not make any noise, as both of the cables in the engine bay were totally insulated and isolated from each other, would that indicate another issue?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The sound you heard may be that isolation relay that you pictured earlier, in your initial post, making noise.

Kevin99

Reaction score
That sounds like a flat battery. :confused:

I would take the connections loose from the solenoid and clean them up anyway. Including the mounting plate, that is the source of the ground.

Keep us updated. :cool:

The sound you heard may be that isolation relay that you pictured earlier, in your initial post, making noise.
Thanks for that, i’ve only had the truck about 5 months and never really paid much attention to the engine bay until now, it looks as if it may have had a “factory?” Secondary battery installed, which is no longer there. Could that solenoid with the missing cable be for that?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks for that, i’ve only had the truck about 5 months and never really paid much attention to the engine bay until now, it looks as if it may have had a “factory?” Secondary battery installed, which is no longer there. Could that solenoid with the missing cable be for that?
If the truck was originally a diesel, it would have had two batteries. But the dual battery option could be had on gas trucks too. Many people who have campers use the second one to power the camper, and there's an isolated solenoid to allow for charging it.
Some rigs I've seen have an extra alternator for charging the extra battery. I think that's a Ford thing though.