steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not have firsthand experience with the post-1994 interiors, but here is my 2 cents:

- The clockspring is going to be an issue. Need to figure out how to still get the horn to work if this is deleted or not conventionally hooked up.

- I would imagine the mounting bolt pattern is different than the older wheels. Will probably need to figure out some kind of adapter.

Good luck with this! I would buy the older wheel for a good price on eBay, and if this job turns out to be a hassle, then clean it up and sell it for more!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's no hassling with the clockspring as that lives inside the column, independent of the steering wheel. The horn contact is a simple wire hookup.

The issue is the pre-1995 steering wheel doesn't have near enough dish to it, so it will ride extremely close to the turn signal lever.

It will "work" just not great.

Richard

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the subject of steering wheels I located a 2002 Cadillac Escalade steering wheel ad wanted to know if it would fir my 96 Silverado. The stock has the coating peeling off in one place. Not sure if the old cover is actually sewn on or made to look like it was.

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took both my 97 and 98 k2500, both non-airbag trucks, and installed the newer 98(?) up leather wrapped steering wheel with smaller newer airbag so I could add SWRC. I actually would like to study a 95-96 wiring and see if I can make an active driver only airbag...

I could see it possible to use an earlier wheel in your similar truck. But the splines have to match... OR.... once upon a time in an old lincoln I filed the alignment tooth off either the column or the wheel and put a wrong year steering wheel on. Only the alingment spline was different in those.

You'll have to try it, I guess. Should be able to do so easily in a self service junkyard.

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took both my 97 and 98 k2500, both non-airbag trucks, and installed the newer 98(?) up leather wrapped steering wheel with smaller newer airbag so I could add SWRC. I actually would like to study a 95-96 wiring and see if I can make an active driver only airbag...

I could see it possible to use an earlier wheel in your similar truck. But the splines have to match... OR.... once upon a time in an old lincoln I filed the alignment tooth off either the column or the wheel and put a wrong year steering wheel on. Only the alingment spline was different in those.

You'll have to try it, I guess. Should be able to do so easily in a self service junkyard.

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last time I went to a P & P I couldn't find one. I saw a 96 Chevy 1500 RC LB for sale on Marketplace, The seller had paid some one to redo the interior with a 99 Escalade in tan, It looked great. I am in the process of buying a 99 Escalade that is complete except the motor is bad. That would be easier and cheaper than trying to find the parts individually. Now trying to ascertain if the reardoors on my 96 CC are the same as on the 99-00 escalade that was Cadillac's version of the Avalanche.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Last time I went to a P & P I couldn't find one. I saw a 96 Chevy 1500 RC LB for sale on Marketplace, The seller had paid some one to redo the interior with a 99 Escalade in tan, It looked great. I am in the process of buying a 99 Escalade that is complete except the motor is bad. That would be easier and cheaper than trying to find the parts individually. Now trying to ascertain if the reardoors on my 96 CC are the same as on the 99-00 escalade that was Cadillac's version of the Avalanche.
Escalade and Denali on the 400s are like Tahoe and Yukon; the shorter doors with the notch for the rear wheel wells. That's why the windows on those doors don't go all the way down, and the Burbs and crew cabs do. CC doors and Burb doors should interchange as long as you stay early model to early model, or late model to late model.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rear doors will not swap.
On the subject of steering wheels I located a 2002 Cadillac Escalade steering wheel ad wanted to know if it would fir my 96 Silverado. The stock has the coating peeling off in one place. Not sure if the old cover is actually sewn on or made to look like it was.
99-02 will work. I put an Esky wheel in my dually.
Search function is your friend....