Rear gear ratio ideas & 5 speed trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to get ride of the granny shift 5 speed in my 98 chevy single cab.. I am running 18 inch wheels and I'm looking for beter gearing something that dosnt have suxj wide gars and long throw to it.. So what manual transmission could be a easy plug and go option. And the best gearing for your suggestion so I can run around in town but get on the freway and keep good mileage and not such a long throw between 2and3 and 4th to 5rh gear..

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TKO-600 bout only trans that I’m familiar with, and that’s only cause read about em. I ran 295/45/18s on my Tahoe with vette wheels, 3:42s with an auto. Motor was stock, pulled good, did ok on the highway. Needed more power around 100, but didn’t do that all too often. Very hilly where I am…

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yay im thinking af swapping in a used t56 but I'm trying to find information on what other vehicles I can grab one out of and it will swap right in with not much changing anything around and then when i find that information I'll need to get the rear gearing done to work with the t56.. Anyone have any info on swaps into a 2 door half ton

2ndtononess

Reaction score
In the process of doing a t56 swap into my 2dr 2wd tahoe. Currently have 3.42s but will go with 4.10s. Best all around gear for what you want to do. Have the same setup in my 95 impala ss. T56 and 4.10s. The ss came with 3.08s