Lowering a 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

952door

Reaction score
So I have a 95 2 door Tahoe 4x4. I'm in the process of making a street truck out of it and converting to 2wd since 2wd are very hard to come by in the Northeast. I currently have the truck stripped down to bare frame. My plan here is this. Torsion bars and Crossmember are being removed. along with all 4x4 components. I will be using the Atomic Fab coil over conversion, 2 inch drop spindles for a 99-07 NBS 1500, 2wd NBS hubs, NNBS 2010-2013 front brakes to get a dual piston caliper and 14" rotor.

I have done a decent amount of research on this. I haven't done it yet but some people say you only have to ream the lower ball joint holes in the spindle, some people say uppers only, and some people say you have to reem both. Either way I will be finding out for myself. What I do know though is that everybody seems to agree on the stock tie rod ends working just mounting them upside down. I don't know where yall are finding 2000 OBS k2500 lower control arms because I just checked and they are obsolete just as the k1500 OBS lower control arms are. I personally just planned on rebuilding my stock LCA's. But if someone does have a supplier that can get new lower control arms please share where we can get them!

Right now I know that with the drop spindles and coil overs I should very easily be able to achieve a 5" drop in the front. The only issue I'm trying to figure out now is wheel fitment, as there are narrow track width control arms available for 2wd 88-98 but not 4wd. From what I've read apparently the track width of a 4x4 is entirely too wide to have a close wheel to fender fitment and even with a decent amount of + offset you still run into the tread of the tire hitting the lip of the front fender. So I'm going to continue researching but for me this may mean I'm going to have to end up having some custom arms made to narrow my track width.

952door

Reaction score
I have found someone in a 2 door Tahoe group on Facebook who has done all of this work and his truck is still 4x4! His name is Tyler, I’m not sure if he’s in here or not. But I have attached a picture of his truck for reference. This is as low as he was able to get his truck and not have the front wheel hit his fender lip when going over bumps.

Attachments

• IMG_6797.jpeg
    IMG_6797.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 13

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't know where yall are finding 2000 OBS k2500 lower control arms because I just checked and they are obsolete...

Salvage yard, ebay, or a parts truck found on Marketplace. They're not a wear item. Replacing a whole control arm is a newer thing for domestic automakers. I think it was more common on imports first.

BCChevyZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found someone in a 2 door Tahoe group on Facebook who has done all of this work and his truck is still 4x4!
I read your prior post, and Im curious why you wouldn't just flip your keys should net you 5" drop and keep it 4x4? I think your going to create far far far more work for yourself then its worth honestly. There is little to no gain to be had by converting it to a 2WD in my opinion anyway. I'm 3.5-4" front and 5.5-6" back and its as good as any 2WD street truck I've cruised with? Its your truck your money, but gutting everything out of it and making it 2WD just makes no sense to me. I'm sorry not trying to be negative just offering an opinion

952door

Reaction score
I read your prior post, and Im curious why you wouldn't just flip your keys should net you 5" drop and keep it 4x4? I think your going to create far far far more work for yourself then its worth honestly. There is little to no gain to be had by converting it to a 2WD in my opinion anyway. I'm 3.5-4" front and 5.5-6" back and its as good as any 2WD street truck I've cruised with? Its your truck your money, but gutting everything out of it and making it 2WD just makes no sense to me. I'm sorry not trying to be negative just offering an opinion
Because I want it low low, and 2wd blazers are unheard of around me. I want my truck considerably lower than the blue truck I posted. Would 100% be easier to start with a 2wd truck, but I cannot find one local and even if I drive 10 hours one way people want $10k+ for those trucks.

BCChevyZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because I want it low low, and 2wd blazers are unheard of around me. I want my truck considerably lower than the blue truck I posted. Would 100% be easier to start with a 2wd truck, but I cannot find one local and even if I drive 10 hours one way people want $10k+ for those trucks.
Well its your truck, but I have extreme doubts your gonna get lower then digginZ71 or other members on this forum whom have lowered 4x4's. I think you have a lot of work ahead of you in regards to modifying the frame to achieve what you want, and still the ball-joint and tie rod angles are going to be an issue without doing custom control arms. Anyways its entirely up to you its your truck, but I think by the time you've funded this project you will have near paid for the 10K+ 2WD blazer. My k1500 is lowered 3.5-4" in the front and I already anticipate possible ball-joint issues down the road due to the angles.