Gabriel ltv shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After a few hours of searching for information, I've come up with no answers. So, in looking at shocks (on Rock Auto), I see gabriel has a non-gas charged shock, the "ltv". Has anyone used these? Has anyone used a non gas charged shock?
If you have experience outside the gmt400 platform with these or similar shocks, I'd like to hear it.
I've always used gas charged shocks, bilstein to be exact. These caught my eye as the odd-ball, and I'm curious what it would be like for ride and dampening ability.

Tomcat71

Tomcat Fixer
Reaction score
hell Ive gotten to where I run FCS chinese shocks on all my stuff, so far they last longer than the 6 month Name brands do nowadays. only decent ones from the big guys is gabriel ultras on my E250 .

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So FCS Chinese shocks last longer than Bilstein’s or KYB MonoMax?

I've never heard of FCS, until now.

They have a "Corporate" headquarters here in MI, and a "Global" headquarters and factories in China.

To the OP, The one time I bought Gabriel shocks I wasn't super impressed, but my dad took them after I was done with them, and I think they went on the rear of his 96... I've got a 4x4, and he had a 2wd, so the fronts were not an option. I don't recall which line of Gabriels I got... probably a mid-grade. I wouldn't buy a non-gas shock. That would be like going back to a highway tread bias-ply tire, in my mind. I might have to go with a non-gas shock for my 69 Buick as that's all I've found.

Last edited:

Tomcat71

Tomcat Fixer
Reaction score
No I was speaking of Normal price range big two or three manufactured shocks. you are not likely to find Bilsteins at your local parts store. those high end shocks are not even in the same category as stock replacement shocks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would [not] buy a non-gas shock. That would be like going back to a highway tread bias-ply tire
Yup. Non-gas-charged shocks are suitable for bias-ply tires. They're from the same era.

I might have to go with a non-gas shock for my 69 Buick as that's all I've found.
What Buick? Sounds like fun. Small-block, or 400/430?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No I was speaking of Normal price range big two or three manufactured shocks. you are not likely to find Bilsteins at your local parts store. those high end shocks are not even in the same category as stock replacement shocks.

Bilstein and KYB off the shelf shocks are NOT high end. Monroe is short lived bottom feeder garbage and I won't touch them.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a 69 LeSabre 4 door with a 350 4bbl and Super Turbine 400 (th400). It's not really roadworthy at the moment but I'm hoping it will be this summer.
Is that the 350 that is what alot of people refer to as a "big block"? A friend of mine had a similar car, and it had a 350, but the engine was huge compared to the "normal" 350 like the gmt400 would have.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Is that the 350 that is what alot of people refer to as a "big block"? A friend of mine had a similar car, and it had a 350, but the engine was huge compared to the "normal" 350 like the gmt400 would have.
It's a Buick small block, but yes it's externally larger than a Chevy small block. The Chevy is the smallest, but I think it's actually heavier.