Free to me GMC 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since the proportioning happens inside the ABS unit, you'll likely be tossing that in favor of something else to get the balance you want.

Or maybe the ABS will do its job and proportion good enough.

:think:…or just fix the brakes in your 14 bolt.

So boring!

Good grief, how about yall let the guy build HIS truck however he wants :rolleyes:
800s have a proportion valve before the abs unit under the master with some nice braided stainless lines to it. I'd grab all that from your donor too. Ditch the abs all together an enjoy....

I’ve done many rear disk swaps and upgraded brakes in other things and never had an issue. I genuinely don’t think it’s gonna be a problem, but now that you mention it. I do have a P valve on a donor 800 truck in my yard if it comes to that.

But I seriously don’t think it’s gonna be a problem. I see a lot of threads about people wanting to do disk swaps on all sorts of different vehicles and nay sayers always bring up these points, yet usually have no experience to back them up.

What do you expect when your on a forum and you ask for opinions?

I like the opinions! Keep um coming, we live in the land of the mostly free and that means we all can argue :gunner::biggun:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Or maybe the ABS will do its job and proportion good enough.

So boring!

I’ve done many rear disk swaps and upgraded brakes in other things and never had an issue. I genuinely don’t think it’s gonna be a problem, but now that you mention it. I do have a P valve on a donor 800 truck in my yard if it comes to that.

But I seriously don’t think it’s gonna be a problem. I see a lot of threads about people wanting to do disk swaps on all sorts of different vehicles and nay sayers always bring up these points, yet usually have no experience to back them up.

I like the opinions! Keep um coming, we live in the land of the mostly free and that means we all can argue :gunner::biggun:

The proportioning isn't dynamic, and it's set from drum brakes, not discs. It'll prevent rear lockups just fine because it won't send enough pressure out back to make that happen. Will it work? Sure it will. But not as well as if you just toss it and use the 800 master and prop stuff. I'm not a fan of 400 ABS anyway. It's very primitive and prevents lockups at the expense of stopping power. Every newer ABS system I've ever experienced is vastly superior and capable of working with the driver instead of against him.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly…and every once in awhile you do learn from it, even if you disagree.
Learning the hard way is always my favorite learning technique :anitoof:
The proportioning isn't dynamic, and it's set from drum brakes, not discs. It'll prevent rear lockups just fine because it won't send enough pressure out back to make that happen. Will it work? Sure it will. But not as well as if you just toss it and use the 800 master and prop stuff. I'm not a fan of 400 ABS anyway. It's very primitive and prevents lockups at the expense of stopping power. Every newer ABS system I've ever experienced is vastly superior and capable of working with the driver instead of against him.
Interesting, I wonder what dash lights or other annoyances would appear if the factory ABS is removed.