Free to me GMC 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m curious, the guys that do gmt800 hydroboost swaps in these trucks. Do they have any weird brake bias issues or and issues?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The ABS light would turn on. Yank the bulb. That's the extent of it. It would piss off a newer truck way more.

If I pull my fuse the rear brakes tend to lock up easily. I guess if it's completely removed, and a stand alone proportioning valve is installed, that problem might go away.

I ran without the fuse, for awhile, when I had a front sensor going bad. The ABS was activating during regular braking.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If I pull my fuse the rear brakes tend to lock up easily. I guess if it's completely removed, and a stand alone proportioning valve is installed, that problem might go away.

I ran without the fuse, for awhile, when I had a front sensor going bad. The ABS was activating during regular braking.

I ran with the ABS unit unplugged with no issues, but I also had the crappy never adjusted correctly wimpy 10" rear drums so that was never gonna happen anyway. I know my Z06 will default to a rear heavy bias if the pump isn't powered and our Envoy seems to be rear happy as well based on a couple panic stops I've made (matching AC Delco pads front and rear). I can say now with the TBI distribution block on the 1500 and no ABS it is not rear heavy even with the larger rear brakes, but they're paired with JB7 calipers/master. They're (shoes) getting pretty old, so a fresh set of shoes may change that but I can't say for sure. In my experience the 13" rear drum pickups seem to be a little rear heavy on their bias.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh man, I ordered the bracket kit and was eyeing this super simple truss. Never done a truss on anything before. I know it’s totally unnecessary with how I plan to use this truck but I like weld projects.

Attachments

• IMG_2153.png
    IMG_2153.png
    385.4 KB · Views: 8

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ahh man, I ordered the bracket kit and was eyeing this super simple truss. Never done a truss on anything before. I know it’s totally unnecessary with how I plan to use this truck but I like weld projects.

That's not for your axle, the current one, or the H2 axle. It's for the full floating 14-bolt (my axle).

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the swap of disks in the rear I will be converting to GMT800 hydroboost. If the bias is awful and the rear locks up like crazy I can always use a proportioning valve. Don’t think I’ll have issues tho, and I will test the crap out of it before I consider it good and put a load behind it.
You won't get lockup, you'll get low pressure to the rear brakes. The amount of pressure supplied to drum brakes isn't enough to clamp disc brakes. You might as well clamp off the rear brakes.

If the math works out and the rest of the system is good, you can get an adjustable proportioning valve to tune the rears to your liking. For a daily driver, a twist-knob valve works just fine. For a racing application, a lever-actuated valve works good for allowing the driver to adjust the bias on the fly to preferred positions.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not for your axle, the current one, or the H2 axle. It's for the full floating 14-bolt (my axle).
Ahh good catch
You won't get lockup, you'll get low pressure to the rear brakes. The amount of pressure supplied to drum brakes isn't enough to clamp disc brakes. You might as well clamp off the rear brakes.

If the math works out and the rest of the system is good, you can get an adjustable proportioning valve to tune the rears to your liking. For a daily driver, a twist-knob valve works just fine. For a racing application, a lever-actuated valve works good for allowing the driver to adjust the bias on the fly to preferred positions.
I guess we will see when it’s done, if it absolutely needs a PV then that’s what it will get but until it’s done and tested we won’t know

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Filled the tank in it on my way home from work as I’m not sure how accurate the gauge is. It seems to move around a lot and with how loud the fuel pump is, I’m assuming it’s some POS aftermarket pump setup.

It was above a quarter tank and took 21 gallons and when I googled tank capacity I was surprised that it’s 34 gallons. I’m thrilled as my Tahoe only has a 26gal tank and it’s a struggle to get over 300miles on a tank with a thirsty 6.0. And my Ranger has a 16gal tank and seriously struggles to get more than 220miles on a tank. So this is going to be painful to fill but beneficial for road trips.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Filled the tank in it on my way home from work as I’m not sure how accurate the gauge is. It seems to move around a lot and with how loud the fuel pump is, I’m assuming it’s some POS aftermarket pump setup.

It was above a quarter tank and took 21 gallons and when I googled tank capacity I was surprised that it’s 34 gallons. I’m thrilled as my Tahoe only has a 26gal tank and it’s a struggle to get over 300miles on a tank with a thirsty 6.0. And my Ranger has a 16gal tank and seriously struggles to get more than 220miles on a tank. So this is going to be painful to fill but beneficial for road trips.
Longbed pickups have a 34 gallon tank.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
Long bed pickups should all ways have a 34 gallon tank.
I edited it to what I think it should say wish that was all ways the case but is not all ways so frank'n truck that started life as a 94 C-2500 extended cab long bed 6.5 turbo diesel has a 34 gallon tank sadly that is not the case for our 97 even though it is a long bed it only has a 25 gallon and like your 97 it is also a crew cab but not a gasser it has "oil burnner" status