Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion but you might consider sheets of osb all the way around at ground level. I can here you now if you rip it somehow.
I’ve thought about it, but not sure it would be worth the expense of doing the whole thing. Maybe part of it. But at 4’ height, I’m not clear on what purpose it would serve.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here it is, about to be summer, and not much has happened with the garage for a while.

Time to call Miss Utility again. I scheduled them to come out to locate my existing power line, so that I can dig the trench to the garage, but they never showed up. Anyway, the trench is the next major item on the list, as the garage apron can't be put down before that happens.

In the meantime, no progress on the electrical plan, other than having decided to go with EMT instead of PVC.

I need a clone!

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you need assistance, I'd be glad to help. Although I am not a electrician, I have taken classes at my high school for three years and taken an internship last summer. I've sized panels and conductors, have experience with single phase and three phase, worked with MC and romex, bent conduit and am familiar with Code.
If you have a list of what you want installed ( appliances, receptacles, etc ) I could possibly write up a panel schedule (I can include code reference numbers as well if you would like to fact check).

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need assistance, I'd be glad to help. Although I am not a electrician, I have taken classes at my high school for three years and taken an internship last summer. I've sized panels and conductors, have experience with single phase and three phase, worked with MC and romex, bent conduit and am familiar with Code.
If you have a list of what you want installed ( appliances, receptacles, etc ) I could possibly write up a panel schedule (I can include code reference numbers as well if you would like to fact check).
That is very generous of you! I'll get together my list in the next few days and send it to you via PM.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another brief update. It's been almost a month since I posted in this thread, and the only thing that has happened is that Miss Utility finally marked the underground electrical line through the garden.

The line will run through the rock path, under the wooden walkway, and through another small garden before reaching the yard, where I'll be able to use a trencher.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

As I mentioned, the trench for the electrical supply line to the garage has to be dug and the conduit installed before the garage apron can be installed. The apron is going to be larger than originally planned (naturally), and will cover part of the electrical line.

But I have the use of one bay in the garage, with just enough light to work during daylight hours if I open a couple of the bay doors. That's a major step up from what I had, and therefore good enough for the time being. But it's beginning to wear on me each time I go out there and see the garage in its unfinished state, particularly with the lack of good lighting and power outlets and the inability to use the other two bays because there's no apron.

So the trench is the #1 task on the critical path to getting this project back on the rails. Yes, there are a number of reasons that digging the trench now isn't the top priority now; but I'm pretty sure that not all (and maybe not even most) of them are valid. If I'm being honest, it appears that procrastination is a substantial part of my problem.

So that's where this project stands. I think that's enough of my whining. Thanks for listening.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's always the temporary power options as well for additional lighting. You have a generator for the camper correct?

I run a drop cord for lights in my shed and fire off a generator for heavier loads (compressor, chop saw, etc.).
Thanks. We do have a generator, plus there's a 20A outlet in the barn, maybe 60' away. I have 100' 10 GA extension cord, which should do the trick for any sort of power tool needs. And rigging some temporary lighting up wouldn't be that tough, now that you mention it.

Looking back through this thread I found that ground breaking, as in digging out the tree stumps, started on October 12, the slab was poured on November 6, the building was up on December 9, and the doors were installed on February 15. This has been a long process!

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, it's usually months between being able to spend a full day on my truck. Life just gets in the way and a year feels like it's just a week long sometimes. the main thing is keep moving forward no matter how slow, kind of like the Tortoise and the Hare.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I've been in the planning stage for my shop for probably 2 years now.
The power situation looks like a bear; I suppose I oughta take advantage and dig a trench for conduit to where the building is ultimately going to be before I do more landscaping

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose I oughta take advantage and dig a trench for conduit to where the building is ultimately going to be before I do more landscaping
Be careful about that, most building inspectors will wanna see how deep the pipe is buried in the trench and what type of overburden is used. Crossing any water lines, sharing the trench, etc.