BNielsen's 2000 Chevy K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI always cross the trailer chains so they form a X. If the trailer comes off the ball they will act as a cradle and catch the tongue and keep it from hitting the ground. I had this happen once as I had forgot to engage the lock, the chains being crossed saved the day! Also if the chains are too long then twist them to shorten them up.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Also if the chains are too long then twist them to shorten them up
Yeah, let's try not to twist the chains to keep them from dragging. In the unfortunate event they are loaded, the twists cause loading in ways that increase the likelihood of chain failure. -per the yearly training I had for 6 years at a previous job using overhead cranes daily (and from my pops background in construction).

Either shorten the chains properly or rig the slack up in a more suitable fashion that won't affect the chain's functionality in the instance it is called to duty.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cab and chassis rails are spaced at 34", I think the pickups were quite a ways off of that. Plus the rails are tapered on a pickup.
The pickup hitch is 32" wide on the cross tube, the C&C one is 34", probably just wind up reselling this one and trying to procure the proper hitch.
FYI always cross the trailer chains so they form a X. If the trailer comes off the ball they will act as a cradle and catch the tongue and keep it from hitting the ground. I had this happen once as I had forgot to engage the lock, the chains being crossed saved the day! Also if the chains are too long then twist them to shorten them up.
Always do, I'm hyper aware of making sure everything is latched and rigged up properly
Yeah, let's try not to twist the chains to keep them from dragging. In the unfortunate event they are loaded, the twists cause loading in ways that increase the likelihood of chain failure. -per the yearly training I had for 6 years at a previous job using overhead cranes daily (and from my pops background in construction).

Either shorten the chains properly or rig the slack up in a more suitable fashion that won't affect the chain's functionality in the instance it is called to duty.
I had no idea twisting them up would cause the potential for failure, I twist them up a couple turns on each just to keep the slack up off the ground; I guess I have something new to be paranoid about. Probably gonna knock the keepers out and re-rig the chain to a proper length where I won't need to twist them anymore

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
There is a big difference between rigging a suspended load and safety chains I wouldn’t sweat twisting them personally but each to thier own.
Main difference in my eyes is one is normally loaded, the other ideally never sees a load.

Probably gonna knock the keepers out and re-rig the chain to a proper length
I'd prefer this method but a few zip ties just to take up the slack enough to keep it from dragging works as well. Pretty sure they make "cradles" for the slack to hang on that go on the hitch with the ball to reduce dragging too.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Interesting about twisted chains.... noticed this year when renting a trailer from Uhaul, that they have changed the hitching hardware a bunch. Lots faster and easier to hitch or unhitch....
Look closely at the picture and you see coiled up cables with snap clips, and the actual hitch has a gravity clip/latch instead of the bolt and nut they used to have.

Attachments

• IMG_20240417_171045075.jpg
    IMG_20240417_171045075.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 8