1990 350 tbi running super rich help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob_69

Reaction score
It had a slight stumble and when you would be in it hard and let out it would stall out. But for the most part it was drivable. I did some research and figured out how to do the obd I code reading and got a TPS sensor low voltage code. So I put a new TPS on it. At the same time I put some headers on. It is my offroad play truck so I am running them open. Now it is running like crap super rich! To get it started have to give it gas when cranking. And when I do get it started in runs crappy smoking and smelling like gas and spits oil out of the collector on the passenger side header. I replaced the coolant temp sensor TPS and tried a diffrant used IAC and throttle body I had off another truck. Still no luck it runs the same. All the research I have done sounds like only other thing it could be as far as sensors is a MAP sensor. But I dont have a check engine light or any codes showing. So I'm at a loss what to try next.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove and clean the ground wires at the thermostat housing and at the back of the passenger side head (the bolt head faces the firewall).

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
my 94 ran the same way after I put full length headers on it before I ran the rest of the exhaust. I could barely keep it running, then threw the first couple feet of the exhaust on it and it ran good enough to move it around, def improved. I think with the long tubes and no exhaust theres not enough backpressure for these trucks? im not sure but after I paint it (hopefully this wknd) I will be fabbing up the rest of the exhaust next week. if ya don't have it figured out by then hopefully ill have some input on if the full exhaust helps it run "normally"

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Check to make sure the hose going to the MAP sensor is not cracked. Had a buddy's 94 yukon do similar stuff and his was a broken vacuum line going to the MAP sensor. The less vacuum the MAP sensor sees, the more fuel it dumps.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
vacuum line, your o2 probably isnt doing anything like that just saying, open headers isnt really all that reliable to start checking things. check your grounds, is tps voltage still low? you could have a brokenwire somewhere, i would check them at the computer harness to see if voltage on everything is correct.