Yukon/Tahoe HVAC in Silverado/Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97redz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the HVAC switch for my 97 Sierra started blowing air only at the ground. So, I went to the junkyard and picked up an HVAC switch that came off of a Tahoe with the rear defrost option. I hooked it up and everything work great. But, my mechanic mentioned to me that the A/C is constantly running even if the switch is turned off. Everytime the trucks is on, the A/C is on. Could the new Tahoe HVAC switch be doing this?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you have the windshield defroster selected on the blend knob? That will make the A/C compressor run at all times.

Edited because I dumbed out for a second.

Last edited:

97redz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though the knob is not engaged, could it still be causing the compressor to constantly run somehow?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even though the knob is not engaged, could it still be causing the compressor to constantly run somehow?

The only thing I can think of is the defroster being engaged. Not the button for the rear glass, but the position on the knob for the front glass. Try adjusting the knobs so that only the low vents by your feet are blowing, and the A/C button is not pressed in. If the A/C still engages then something's not right.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I'd hook up your old controls and see what happens.

97redz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason when I did hook up my old console, every setting I put the air blower on, it only blew air at my feet.