Yes, Another "Help Me With My Miss!" Thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
So updates. Here's everything so far explained better.

Truck would not start because of a loose ground wire on the fire wall. The one that connects to the head and the frame.

I replaced the screw for it and now the truck starts, but dies right away.

My Speedo is also pegged at 80 all the time. Key on, key off, everything. It wasn't like this before.

I've checked the distributor and everything inside of it including the module. Checked the coil, the TPS, and IAC. Checked all fuses and relays.

So here are the symptoms again. Truck starts, but dies quickly. You can give it throttle and keep it running, but it missfires like crazy. Speedo is pegged at 80. If your keeping her running with the throttle and let completely off of it, the fuel coming out of the injectors stops completely.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had this issue with my 88 a few years back while plowing the plug to the coil was messed up took one off another motor and it corrected the issue, just a thought of something to try cause the symptoms sound like what mine was doin

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Did you have the speedo problem as well?

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
might try replacing the ground strap, they get crappy with rot/corrosion and high resistance. if it was loose ive seen them get smoked when trying to start. I replaced mine with 1'' wide braided straps to firewall and frame.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
This is going to sound a bit crazy, but you said the bolt on the ground strap was loose, Was there a burn mark on the eyelet or the bolt by chance?
I have seen where the main ground wire from the battery isn't making a good contact at the block and that little grounding strap gets burnt and sometimes even melted when the engine is trying to crank over. When everything looses the ground it will reak havoc on all the electrical systems. Try disconnecting the battery, touching the 2 cables together for a minute or so and then try restarting the truck, it might have just locked up the ECM and the instrument cluster.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
This is going to sound a bit crazy, but you said the bolt on the ground strap was loose, Was there a burn mark on the eyelet or the bolt by chance?
I have seen where the main ground wire from the battery isn't making a good contact at the block and that little grounding strap gets burnt and sometimes even melted when the engine is trying to crank over. When everything looses the ground it will reak havoc on all the electrical systems. Try disconnecting the battery, touching the 2 cables together for a minute or so and then try restarting the truck, it might have just locked up the ECM and the instrument cluster.

It was burnt actually.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Try running a better ground cable between the battery and the block. Make sure the contacts are clean. The current draw through a 1/2" braided line isn't enough to maintain the draw the starter takes, so it will burn. I assume it seems to be cranking slower than normal as well?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I gotta say, when i first saw the thread title my first thought was you were having problems with a woman.....:rofl: