Yea, no 3rd or 4th...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownMtr

Reaction score
Howdy fellers,
As of today I'm finally an owner of the great gm 1500. Bought a 92 reg cab stepside with 5.7 and I believe 700r4/4l60 4x4 for 800 bucks. Solid body, runs and drives. Sure it's a pos but with a little work I'm sure it will pan out to be a great truck.

Besides being an old ragged truck, its got a sloppy shift from first to second then when it hits third there's nothin.. While pumping the throttle I can feel a slight push for half a second but otherwise it just revs up. I'm assuming 3rd and 4th clutch packs are toast. I stomped it at a stop sign and I do think I feel a tad of slipping as well. Maybe. Any suggestions for the route I should take?
Should I find any 700r4 2 or 4 wheel for cheap then drop it in? Should I order a complete rebuild kit? I was hoping it was something to do with the TV but since it does actually shift into 3rd I don't think it is. I think the tranny is just toast and wore out. 315k on the odometer.
As for future plans, during the winter as long as it still runs, I kinda want to grab another 350 to rebuild (bored, pistons, cam, headers, swap to carb ect ect), I'm also tossing around the idea of doing an LS swap however I'm really just on the fence of what to do. Any suggestions would be great.
Grizzly

Kingjames

Reaction score
If you have the ability rebuild it and add a couple of upgrades I rebuild these transmissions all the time and I love them with just a couple mods they will last a long time and parts are fairly cheap for them u could easily spend less than 200$ rebuilding yourself