XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I sent an email to a place called Unbalanced Engineering concerning a solid aluminum rag joint eliminator that they make for 1993-1997 Camaros.
Dorman lists the same rag joint repair kit part number between my '96 GMC K1500 and a '96 Z28 Camaro.
We will see what they say.
They may not replay until Monday.

Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent an email to a place called Unbalanced Engineering concerning a solid aluminum rag joint eliminator that they make for 1993-1997 Camaros.
Dorman lists the same rag joint repair kit part number between my '96 GMC K1500 and a '96 Z28 Camaro.
We will see what they say.
They may not replay until Monday.

What do they charge for it?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus shipping, of course.
Came out to $44.75 USD (I did not order yet).
No word yet. Again, probably Monday.

That's not terribly bad. Now to see if a 97 an 98 use the same rag joint as a 96....

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I was interested in doing this mod unfortunatly my 1995 happens to have the additional joint behind the firewall. What are my options with this set uup?

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
So I was interested in doing this mod unfortunatly my 1995 happens to have the additional joint behind the firewall. What are my options with this set uup?

Funny you should mention that. I looked today and I have one too. Now I'm kind of worried because I put a jk shaft in already. I'm waiting to see what they say now too I may have to get this one and replace the jk shaft I have in there now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Jason at Unbalanced Engineering said that if the part numbers match, then his solid rag joint should work for my truck.
It sounds like I would be the one to see if it actually fits.
As I said earlier, Dorman lists the same rag joint repair kit between my '96 GMC K1500 and a '96 Z28 Camaro.
I ordered the solid rag joint from Unbalanced Engineering along with a Dorman repair kit (just in case).

Be patient with me. It may take me awhile to actually try the swap. My truck is my daily driver/work truck so it doesn't get much down time.
My steering wheel doesn't have but 1/4" play in it so I'm not in a big hurry.
I'll report back when I do finally get it done.

Laters.