XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just had a failure on my XJ shaft.

Yesterday, during a quick trip to the grocery store, I noticed the steering wheel groaning a bit when turning, and I felt some play in the wheel too, but it drove fine.

This morning after I started the truck and went to back out the steering wheel turned, but did not turn the wheels. I found that the upper part of the shaft just spins in the lower part of the shaft now. I'm assuming it is just worn out? It's interesting that it happened a week after I installed the ranch hand replacement (~300 lbs on the nose of the truck). Either way, i'll install another XJ shaft and go from there.

Curious if there were any other failures like mine out there.

edit: I'm also very lucky it happened in my driveway

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
I just had a failure on my XJ shaft.

Yesterday, during a quick trip to the grocery store, I noticed the steering wheel groaning a bit when turning, and I felt some play in the wheel too, but it drove fine.

This morning after I started the truck and went to back out the steering wheel turned, but did not turn the wheels. I found that the upper part of the shaft just spins in the lower part of the shaft now. I'm assuming it is just worn out? It's interesting that it happened a week after I installed the ranch hand replacement (~300 lbs on the nose of the truck). Either way, i'll install another XJ shaft and go from there.

Curious if there were any other failures like mine out there.

edit: I'm also very lucky it happened in my driveway

sounds scary man! i haven't heard of anything like that happening before.. glad it wasn't catastrophic.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ended up getting in touch with a guy named Ken. He is the one that was selling them over on thirdgen.com. He told me that he puts two tack welds near the upper Ujoint on all the shafts he sells, otherwise it will slide down and spin in the shaft.

ONce I pulled mine out I realized that it wasn't the slip joint that was spinning, but it was where he described the problem probably was. Anyone who has one of these in their hands can see that above the slip joint, near the upper Ujoint, the thing can slide down, revealing a thick rubber piece (vibration dampner?) It only needs to slide down about 1/4" before it will start spinning. It was an easy fix to just tack it, so it cannot slide down again.

It is hard to put into words where it it, but it is easy to figure out if you have one of these in your hands. I would recommend everyone do this to prevent a catastrophic loss of steering. I can't believe how lucky I was that it happened in my driveway.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of what failed on yours? And how you fixed it!

I have had two XJ's, one as a DD and one I wheeled the hell outta for about 5 years. And never had an issue with the steering shafts. Have a whole XJ off-road community that I was part of that is nation wide and never heard of this happening to any of them..

Sent from what use to be a great country.